Small 19 day old babies!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

Mom is super young roughly 3-4 months old and she had 15 babies but lost 2 and has been doing her best to take care of the ones she has.The owner just brought them to us last night after mom kept escaping her bin cage with the babies and she put her and babies back with the dad.. This was an intentional breeding on her part and I don't know what she thought was gonna happen like maybe mom would have one or two babies maybe? She clearly did no research and was unprepared for and extra 13 rats.I have weighed all the babies and the smallest weighs 4 grams and the biggest weighs 7grams and the other fall in between. The are so small for their age even thier little heads look too big for their bodies. They are super active and taste testing everything I give to mom when they aren't storming her to nurse the poor thing she herself is tiny but I haven't weighed her because once they dropped them off and left as I was observing I realized that she is pregnant right now and even has shown some signs of labor so we know she was with dad shortly after birth.. Breaks my heart because she is a super sweet girl and gives lots of kisses and even babies are super friendly and I even got a couple of licks from them :) Is it possible they are small from her not being able to probably feed them or is it something more maybe? If my phone fixes itself I will get pictures.

Sounds like you've nailed it. If the mom hasn't been getting proper nutrition, they may be feeling the effects. Poor little muffin, to go through two pregnancies so close together.

You might want to supplement their diet of blocks etc and mama's milk with shallow dishes of organic soy infant formula thickened with a bit of baby cereal .... it will give both mom and babies extra nutrition and will be particularly helpful since it sounds like mom will need to wean them early.

good luck to all of you

Got a few pictures but babies are so active I am to scared to try and hold them with one hand to take a picture haha

They were feeding mom and dad hamster food and cheerios..Since they have been here they have had their oxbow,carrots,green beans,ensure and baby cereal.. I will see if we can go out tomorrow and get some soy milk as what I have is expired..momma is still stretching and restless.. she was good for a few hours earlier but she was feeding babies and eating yummies.

I will see if we can go out tomorrow and get some soy milk as what I have is expired..momma is still stretching and restless...

I would suggest organic soy infant formula not soy milk.
You should be able to find it in the infant section of grocery stores and pharmacies.
(When I have needed to use it, I bought a can of the powdered formula as it contains more and lasts longer)

I don't think soy milk, or any type of milk, would meet their nutritional needs.

Last edited:
Back