Sleepy sleepy girls?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CardboardCastles

Is it odd for my girls to be conked out more than they're awake? I mean, I have to literally rouse them to get them out even at night...I thought at first it may have been that it was a new cage in a new room, and that they were clinging to the cube because thats where they felt safe, but they've been SO much better lately with hand feeding and venturing out of their cage when I leave the door open for them...I just have to force them to wake up, wait for them to crawl out of the cube, then steal it for 10 minute intervals....If I don't, they hide in there all day and all night long, only coming out to eat...

Do you think they're still adjusting, I mean, its only been a week...

I have been wondering about this too, unfortunatly, I have no anwnser for you.

I heard that because girl rats are naturally more active and hyper, when they become more calm and sleep more it means they are getting into their old age (which upsets me =() I dont know if this is true or not.

I noticed my two girls started doing this as well and it worried me a bit, since I got them from my local SPCA I really have no idea how old they are so I couldnt say if what I heard was true.

The only explination I had was perhaps their sleepig habbits have somehow changed, I use to play with my ratties during the day (during christmas break) but then once i went back to school I couldnt play with them until after I got home and their sleep schedual changed. Lately they seem to be awake early in the morning and sleep all day and until about midnight.

Also if they have a large house like mine do, perhaps they are just exersizing lots when you arent around and tiring themselves out =)

I wish I could give you a better answer, perhaps someone else knows better than me

How old are you girls?

Its not uncommon for rats to sleep a lot especially during the day which is their least active time. As long as they seem healthy and are alert and active while they are awake I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have 6 ratties that range in age from 6 months to 27 months and they all sleep atleast 50% of the time. But when they are awake they are really active. :lol:

mine are only about 8-9 weeks now, but they've swapped around their sluggishness for me, lol.

I think it was that they were still transitioning and getting used to me. Now they have lots of out time, lots of loving, and "zoomzoom food" (ie: peas and grapes, every time they get them its like having ricochet rabbit pinging around their cage for about an hour, cracks me up!)

I was just being a nervous new mommy!

Sorry CardboardCastles somehow I missed this post......
Glad to hear your little girls are feeling more comfortable and zooming around more. It sometimes does take them a while to feel comfortable enough to run and play and wrestle.

Excuse me but how long does it take for them to setal in.
I mean me and my sis ARE Able to have ratties now!
And we want to get used to our time table we've set up, but we would like to be able to handle them quiet soon after we get them, but if it takes a while we don't mind we just want them to be HAPPY!!!!!!!!1 :D !

I would start handling them from day one....Lots of in your shirt cuddling....gentle petting, letting them sniff your hands...etc.
It really depends on the ratties.......some come to a new home eager to make friends and explore...others are scared and quiet and want to hide.....It depends on what they have been
exposed to.

Back