Sleeping with Eyes Open

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

So my old girl, Dahlia, who is about 3 now, just scared the life out of me!
I went in to check on them and I see her, half out of the hammock, little arms dangling, eyes open. She didn't move when I opened the cage and didn't wake up until I touched her... several times!
She had a small mammory tumor removed about a month ago and has recovered very well. No other health problems but wiht her age I have been keeping a close eye on her.
Does anyone else have a rattie who sleeps like this? (I've never noticed this in the year I've had her)
Is this new development something to be concerned about?

Remmington does this to me all the time. I see him curled up, I poke him, no reaction. I flop his head around with my finger, nothing. He only wakes up after I drop everything, fling the door open, and scoop him into my arms franticly. He's over 2 now and I lose my mind every time. I sincerely think his hearing is going on him because he hasn't promptly responded to my calls for a long time.

Our Gregory has that habit. I do wish he didn't enjoy removing years from my life by some of his Epic Naps.

I had my first experience with that this morning, when I gave Julia her morning meds. All the others came out looking for a treat, except Ashley. I finally found him in a corner hammock, but he looked dead. He was just sleeping, though, so I panicked for nothing. A rat has to be VERY sound asleep to miss out on cadging kamut puffs.

Back