Sleeping issue.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miya_Moo_Chu

I know, this is going to be a really lame subject, and half of anyone can't do anything about it...
But...
My rats will literally NOT let me sleep, Moo and Chu got the point when I turn the lights off, MOMMA means buissness. but nooo Abby, and Bambi kept me up till' 2:00AM, and then woke me up again at 4:00Am I get up to go to school in an hour, (it's 5:00am) and i'm not happy, I have to take a freaking test today, and I'll probably collapse..
It's like when momma lays down, "WE must pway!"(we must play-abby/bambi) and it's just plain rude/annoying, and i've tried the blanket thing, i've tried turning off the lights when They sleep to get the message, but i really... really....... CANT get it in they're heads, that I would love to have some sleep!!! and I know i might seem a BIT cranky, but wouldn't you be a bit ticked off?
This has happend to me for ... along time now, and i'd love some new suggestions.

sounds like someone needs earplugs. You can get them at a drugstore and they are soft orange foamy things and surprisingly work well. Newer rats take a bit of time to get use to Your Schedule...they will pick it up eventually but in the meantime you should get those earplugs. My rats (remember how many I have) all settle down now once I turn off the light. Within 15 mins plus its pretty quiet in my room :)

Also try to remember that rats are pretty noctural animals. They sleep most of the day and then they are up and playing in the evening and at night. you should definately invest in some good earplugs! They helped me out when I had the rats in my room and even moreso when I had the ferrets in my room!

Oh boy... this is why there is no way I could ever have rats in my room. I'm such a light sleeper, and I know rats love to play at night. I'd be a grouchy mama by morning. lol

Yep, this is why the rats have their own bedrooms! Although since I work nights and sleep during the day, I'd probably be fine sleeping in the same room with them. But the dogs sleep with me, and the dogs wouldn't let me get any sleep trying to get to the rats if we were all in the same room. What a zoo!

Well, It scares me to get earplugs, because Bambi got out the other night, and woke me up...[by being on the floor tickleing my foot.. haha.. intresting huh?] so, Im scared of them getting out, and me not hearing them... or them biting eachother, and me not saying NO! BAD DUMBY!
ya know what I mean?
any other momma's know what I mean?
Idk.... I fixed up they're cage, and none have gotten out since

I have my guys in my bedroom, as it's the only place I can keep them, they are about a foot away from the end of my bed and my guys are pretty noisy at night so I use a sound machine from Conair to drown them out until I fall asleep (it has a 60 min timer) then I couldn't care less how much noise they make as I'm a pretty sound sleeper :lol: I got the sound machine at Walmart it's basically a white noise machine but I like the stream function :D

The earplugs just muffle those sharp sounds that make you jump, you will still hear everything else. Btw a loose rat likes to stay really quiet until they pounce on you to play in the middle of the night :roll:

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I find because my boys sleep most of the day, if I take them out and have a real good play session with them before going to bed, it seems to help them get the majority of their energy out, and they're pretty content to run on the wheel or wander around the cage without making a big fuss. There were times over the past two weeks that I had been really sick with a flu, and there were some nights I just didn't have the energy to even stay up to take them out (it never happened two days in a row, tho!), and they drove me nuts with the rattling in their cage, squeaking, etc.

Maybe you'll find that helpful!

I don't know if this helps or not...but... I have nine ratties in my bedroom. I also have an Austin HEPA filter which make a nice white noise and filters the air for everybody.

I also like to hear them at night...I like to know they are there and alive. It is comforting in a way.

The ear plugs....available at Target....are for the Significant Other's snoring.

You could do what I do... Rearrange your whole sleep schedule so you're up when they are. Don't you just love staying up til 6 am?! :shock: :wink:

For people with lives that's probably not the best route to go. Ear plugs = love. My ex used to use them for whenever he stayed over. I snore. :D I wonder if I keep the ratties up? :lol:

But, see, the thing is I have school all week, but not on sat/sun ya know? so I can't play with them during the day, to tire them out, but I guess I could try playing with them when Im about to go to sleep, for like an hour or two..

Cait said:
You could do what I do... Rearrange your whole sleep schedule so you're up when they are. Don't you just love staying up til 6 am?! :shock: :wink:

For people with lives that's probably not the best route to go. Ear plugs = love. My ex used to use them for whenever he stayed over. I snore. :D I wonder if I keep the ratties up? :lol:

lol... I know I have kept the dogs awake snoring! I was falling asleep with the dog right by my head, and I could hear myself snoring before falling into the good sleep... and everytime I did, the dog would do this big deep sigh and flop her head over.

Miya_Moo_Chu said:
But, see, the thing is I have school all week, but not on sat/sun ya know? so I can't play with them during the day, to tire them out, but I guess I could try playing with them when Im about to go to sleep, for like an hour or two..

Just play with them when you have them out for their hour each evening :) I think she meant Day by anytime you are not sleeping.

Back