Skitty needs tough love

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegger

Hi, I'm a new owner of 2 hooded girls. I got to the breeder late and was left with the runt, the shy one and the one with the gunky eye - I took the runt and the shy one. I've had them for 3 weeks now. The runt is coming along fine and we have a good relationship. But shy one "Skitty" (aptly named) is giving me grief. From the start I have tried to handle them a little each day, and hand feed treats daily. Now that they are bigger, I put them in their big girl cage for play time each day and to find out if they can still escape. The trouble is I have not been able to handle Skitty for 2 weeks now as she freaks out. So I have taken to moving her in a tube or play box. She has squeezed out 3 times now and goes snakey on me making it a most unpleasant experience and if she gets away, it will be VERY difficult to catch her if at all! I put my hand in the cage often to get her used to it but she is kinda aggressive. She likes to nip my clean hands just to be bratty and I see some lunging behaviour. Yes she does bully Happy the runt a bit, but Happy is growing and can dish it back now. Skitty takes treats nicely from me but that's it. Happy, the runt, and I get along great. Thoughts/suggestions most welcome. (Sorry this is long but I thought background would be helpful.)

I've had them for 3 weeks, and I got them when weaned (not sure how long that is) but they are still babies.

Probably around 2 months maybe younger so that's good. Skitty needs lots of socializing to help her become a happier rat. Most likely left mom and her siblings far too young. Rats are weaned around 3 weeks of age but it's still far too young to leave mom and siblings. They need to stay with them til about 6 weeks old to learn how to be a well rounded happy rats.
What I like to do with scared rats, I put on an old t-shirt with a sweatshirt over top and put the rats in between and keep them in there for an hour. I do this several times a day. This should help bond them to you. Skitty is scared and she needs to learn that she is now in a safe and good place. Hopefully, Happy will help her learn this too.

Just as an aside, I don't think I would buy from that breeder again... she doesn't sound like a knowledgeable breeder.

Yes, I'll keep at it with Skitty. I've read some earlier posts and think the bathroom idea would be good too. If she gets away in the house at this point, she could be a goner. I will keep giving her sneaky pats in the cage too, even though she looks like she wants to brawl. I talk calmly and move slowly (seems like all my pets have been this way lol!)

I agree with what Jo said about the forced socialization.

I personally use an old towel and drape than over my lap, and then hold the rat on me for 15 - 20 minutes at a time minimum. If very very scared I will cover the rat with the towel as well.

And it is really important to pick her up with your hands even though she doesn't want to be picked up. If she scrambles just grab and scoop her up then cup her to your body. She is young right now so she will learn that it isn't a bad thing, and it doesn't hurt. Whereas if you avoid the situation now by using a box, then she will become more un-handleable and even less likely to be able to be picked up as she ages.

Back