Skinny rat's tail turning gray?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattie Kisses

I have a skinny mom rat, even though I feed her plenty. Carrots and apples, sometimes cheerios, and of course lab blocks. The brand is Kaytee Prohealth. She is so skinny you can feel her spine, and she is very light when you pick her up. The babies are weaned out and the boys are separated, but the mom is still with the girls because I have not had time to intro her with my girls yet. She seems to want the babies to have more food than her, which worries me. I am about to switch her to a diet of ensure and baby cereal, maybe with some crushed up lab blocks in it. But, her tail is turning gray, I'm pretty sure it isn't dirty, as her cage is kept fairly clean. Could it be from stress or malnutrition?
Also, more questions.
Should I put her in a cage alone to make sure she is eating?
What fattening foods do you suggest I feed her?
Should I go ahead and intro her to my girls?

Sorry for the long post.

is she prego at this moment ? if so she should be in a cage alone with the babies till babies are old enough to leave home

Some moms do lose weight but she shouldn't be that skinny. You can give her baby cereal with olive oil. But if she doesn't get bigger or look better, I'd bring her to a vet.

Yeah, they can all have the special treat, but she might be avoiding the hustle and bustle around the dish at dinner time. A little extra encouragement wont hurt :)

Back