Skin issue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, one of my babies has been in and out of the vets cuz he keeps removing stitches from a neuter. This time he stayed at the vets for a couple of days for them to keep a close eye on him 24/7 (bless them ) but he came back to me with a skin condition. Vet isn't sure what caused it and Ill be treating with clavamox, Baytril and ointment the vet prescribed. My question is can I place him together with his cage mate? I read that if this is pyoderma, it is caused by bacteria and I am worried this may affect his cage mate? I'll leave a photo bellow, thank you in advance. ( What you see there are soft scabs in 3 different spots )

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_220048.jpg
    IMG_20200616_220048.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 131
If you are using ointment you will have to be careful with the cagemate trying to groom it off.

Can you try for clearer pics of the lesions? There's really 3 things it could possibly be. Is it kinda wet or dry like a rapidly expanding scab?

1) burn from whatever heat source they use from the surgery.
2) "baytril burn" is what can form after a rat gets undiluted (or not diluted enough) injectable baytril. It's caustic to tissue and can cause necrosis.
3) pyoderma or a bacterial skin infection. In this case you will also need Metacam to control the discomfort so the rat doesn't scratch open any healing skin once the infection is under control.

As for removing stitches post-neuter. Stitches aren't good for neuters as the testicle skin is very thin and friable. Surgical glue is a much better option and they can't get their teeth into it to pull.

He's napping now, but I will try to get a better photo soon !
If you are using ointment you will have to be careful with the cagemate trying to groom it off.

Can you try for clearer pics of the lesions? There's really 3 things it could possibly be. Is it kinda wet or dry like a rapidly expanding scab?

1) burn from whatever heat source they use from the surgery.
2) "baytril burn" is what can form after a rat gets undiluted (or not diluted enough) injectable baytril. It's caustic to tissue and can cause necrosis.
3) pyoderma or a bacterial skin infection. In this case you will also need Metacam to control the discomfort so the rat doesn't scratch open any healing skin once the infection is under control.

As for removing stitches post-neuter. Stitches aren't good for neuters as the testicle skin is very thin and friable. Surgical glue is a much better option and they can't get their teeth into it to pull.
Thank you for your reply !
I'm keeping him alone for now. He's in an hospital cage and I'm watching him as much as I can. Inevetably he's getting oitment ( and spray he was prescribed that I forgot to mentioned )in his mouth at some point since he won't stop trying to clean it off when I put it on, even if I'm trying to stop him every time. Is this too dangerous?

Erm. It's 3 hard scabs that I believe are getting softer with the ointment and spray. I don't see it spreading but I can't think of it being anything other than pyoderma. I was thinking it may have been stress induced from so many vet trips and surgeries and having to stay alone at the vets for a week.
I asked about Baytril burns and the vets told me one of the scabs is located somewhere where he didn't get any injections.
Burns from a heat source seem unlikely since they only started appearing a few days after surgery.

I may try to get him some metacam. He seems to be kinda itchy, will this help?

About the stitches, when he got neutered my vet did internal stitches and glue. It became very infected and the vet had to open it again to surgically clean the wound. This time she stitched it, because she believed hes skin reacted to either the internal stitches or the glue causing the infection. He took out the stitches 2 or 3 days after surgery but it was healing okay so I wasn't worried. It had been almost a weak after surgery and he was almost all healed up, still I woke up one day and he had opened a large wound on it and his testicles (???) slipped through the wound and were hanging out the sack. ( This is as best as I can describe it in english lol apologies. ) But anyway, the vet had to sew him up again and now there's this very thin layer of fragil and damage skin there just slowly trying to heal. The vets watched him for a week or so 24/7, he came home with me yesterday and I was up with him most of the night trying to make sure he didn't tear it again but still, he made a little wound on it. I'm trying my best to keep an eye on him but I need to sleep at some point. Today I went and got some elastic band to wrap around him so he can't reach his sack. I'll only have it on whenever I can't watch over him and his frantically trying to chew that area but I'll try to have him on it for short periods of time cuz he just looks so miserable. I just cannot wait for him to heal lol

Last edited:
Back