simple checklist I made

• Thread starter creative animal lover
  • Start date
The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

creative animal lover

I didn't know what to call this thread I have been researching a lot and decided to make a little checklist for fun, I am sure somethings are probably missing and I could easily make improvements, but like I said I made it for fun, but I did try to make it as complete as possible. If you want to make corrections feel free as I would be glad because it would be helpful. There are some areas I was unsure of, but like I said I tried to add everything I would need while not making it overly complicated. And I made it mostly for my needs and wants, for example the cage is the one I would want.

Rat Checklist:

Cage:

Critter Nation ( Double)

Food:

Oxbow ADULT rat blocks

Fruit Veggies Seeds Eggs/chicken

Crushed Flax Seeds sprinkled on top of lab block

Treats:

Gerber Graduates, Banana, Blueberry, Sweet Potato

Bedding:

Fleece, Uhaul Blanket

Natural Carefresh

(for litter pans) Yesterday's News Unscented

Cleaning Supplies:

White Distilled Vinegar ( Heinz)

Toothbrush/Any Cleaning Brush

Dawn Dish soap for plastic toys

Seventh Genertion Unscented Laundry Detergent

Play:

Play Time:

Duct Tape/ Binder Clips & Coroplast/Cardboard boxes/ Presentation boards for playpen

Toys:

Critter Space Pod Small Animal Hideout, igloo, hammocks from online, bird rope toys, bird toys, dollar store baskets, rodent chew toys, apple orchard sticks, wood chews, bend-a-bridge, lava ledges, baby chains/ other toys, tunnels/tubes, Small Animal Cotton Rope Nets, 12 in wheel

Vet:

At least 300 in savings

Over the counter common medicines

Scales are good to have for when they're old or sick. A transport cage/carrier for vet visits. Un-tippable dishes, water bottle(s).
Not sure what duct tape is for? It could be dangerous if they chew it as being sticky it may not just come out the side of their mouth and they could choke on it.

Scales are good to have for when they're old or sick. A transport cage/carrier for vet visits. Un-tippable dishes, water bottle(s).
Not sure what duct tape is for? It could be dangerous if they chew it as being sticky it may not just come out the side of their mouth and they could choke on it.
Yea I agree I know with rodents kitchen scales can be handy. I thought of that too when I heard of using duct tape for making playpens, I may also just use binder clips, but when they are out playing I will most likly be watching them.

I use chloroplast sheets connected together to surround the rattie play area ........ I connect the panels by over lapping them and attaching them using zip ties or by using strips of stick on Velcro.
Try to find treats that do not contain added sugar
..... for example, i occasionally give mine organic kumut puffs (a cereal whose only ingredient is kumut - an ancient grain)

Could thease work? Nature's Path Organic Kamut Puffs Cereal,. It says organic so it seems good. Also thanks for mentioning that because treats are something I would need a lot of for sure, aspecialy for taming. I also have rolled oats so maybe those could be good treats even though I know you can feed them regularly

Mine like the kamut puffs cereal too. I couldn't use care fresh, it made my rats very sneezy. Instead I used Yesterday News recycled paper cat litter. Also, for diet, I really wouldn't give any chicken or egg. Rats do not need that high protein and fat. Maybe as an occasional treat from your dinner but don't buy any especially for them.

Most tips seemed to have already been mentioned but I also would like to add that you’ll need something absorbent like puppy pads under the fleece so when your babies have accidents before being potty trained it can safely soak in and not linger in the air and cause respiratory problems late on.

And you might want to consider swapping out the tape since ratties can easily chew through this and choke. Try things like connectable play pen gates or just cut off a part of a room with cardboard.

I know this has been mentioned before but I would also like to press on the matter, try not to give your ratties chicken or large, often amounts of egg. Instead opt for something like tiny amounts of tuna which is healthier if you choose to feed meat.

xox

Back