Simon and Dexter :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your little Dexter is a well-travelled baby. Minnieflower saved him and brought him up as a well-socialized little man. I picked him up on Friday night from minnie, then Jenny got him from me on Saturday night, and now he's home with you. I had the impression he's ALL baby, and boys wrestle and playfight a little rougher than girls at this point. I would expect lots of screaming, chasing, pinning and then start all over again...I bet they are happy boys :) Cannot wait to see Dexter and Simon together :D

Simon and Dexter are both still doing fine. They're getting along like they've known each other their whole lives. There's not even that much fighting or squeaking surprisingly.

They love the wheel. I don't have it in the cage so they only use it when they're out for play time but I'm thinking of putting it back in the cage because they like it so much. I don't think Dexter really understood it at first but he figured it out quick enough. And Simon gets going so fast on it. They run together on it a lot but I always supervise just in case one of them gets going too fast or something.

View My Video

And here's a pictures of Dexter on top of Dexter, who he may or may not be named after. (I just really love those books.) I did end up putting a towel over the books on the bottom shelf though because I don't need pee dribbles on them. :toothy1:

2mhiyac.png

Aww, great video of the boys on the wheel! I loved it! I always wished my boy rats liked their wheel but none of them ever had the slightest interest in it. :disbelief: So great to see Simon and Dexter enjoying it! If I was a rat, I would love to run on a wheel! :)

Great photo of Dexter on top of the Dexter books, terrific! Nice photo op!

I am SO glad to see a happy update on your boys and it looks like they have become the best of friends, terrific! Can't wait to see new photos too!

Send your two cuties all my love! :lovestruck:

Awww hello little man!! You were such a good boy when I met you but you were lonely by yourself, I am glad you're not alone anymore Dexter :heart:

Where's the pic of Simon?? LOLOL

As for the wheel, I LOVE when young boys run on the wheel, it keeps them fitter, and mentally entertained. The baby boys I have here are always on the wheel, in pairs LOL

I would put it in their cage and don't worry about what they do. Younger babies often figure out a scary (to humans) and so much fun game (for baby rats) on the mesh wheels. They play a game called loop de loop.

A silent spinner they cannot get hurt on so let them have it :D

Yeah I'm really glad they like the wheel! I'd heard a lot about male rats being pretty lazy, so I'm glad they like it so much. I know they're still young but hopefully they'll keep up with it. I'm definitely putting it back in the cage next time I clean it. I think they might use it more than my female rats did.

Simon is hard to get pictures of because he's such a fast little boy, but here's one of him in the hammock! This is actually the first time I've seen either of them in the hammock. It's been in the cage since I got Simon and he's never slept in it that I've noticed until now. I'm glad he's finally realized how comfy it is. Now Dexter just has to get in there with him. (I hope this picture resizes when I post it.)

119z5ur.jpg

And another of Dexter. ^_^

1zqu6iq.jpg

Aww, beautiful boy! That photo of him in the hammock is so precious! I bet he will love that hammock more and more each day, and his brother too! :)

I used to always roll up a blanket and put that in the hammock and my girls loved it that way, when they didn't pull it down to bring into their house. I finally saw Dexter in it today, and when I cleaned the cage I rolled up another blanket (it kind of makes like a tunnel they can go into) and that's the first thing Dexter ran to when I put them back in the cage. I'm going to look into getting one with a roof though (or maybe seeing if my mom can sew one). I have been poking around the Garage Sale section of the forum too hehehe.

I also put the wheel in the cage and they're very happy about that. :D

No new pictures though sorry! :p

Not really any recent pictures but I did buy a hammock from someone in the Garage Sale part of the forum that I've added to the cage. They seem to like it, I've noticed them going in it already. They're both doing really well too, getting bigger and bigger.

I was also wondering for anyone who has a Critter Nation cage, would a single CN be big enough for two rats? The cage I have now is pretty difficult to clean and I've heard sooo many good things about the CN. I would love to buy a double but the room I have them in has really low walls and I don't think a double would fit.

2j1weu1.jpg

A single Critter Nation is a wonderful size for two rats! It is 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep and two feet tall. The SCN stands about 3 1/2 feet tall altogether as it has a shelf underneath the cage.
I have a double and a single and I love them and would definitely buy another if I needed another cage. Awesome for access to every inch of the cage. :)

The double is only about 5 1/2 feet tall so I think you could fit it fine. I'm guessing your ceilings are 7~8 feet. A single is plenty of room for 2 though. :)

Awesome I might have to look into it. I have the rats in my room though and it's technically an attic, so the walls are kind of like this:

/ \

Which is the reason it won't fit unless I put it right in the center of the room. :p

Yes, but I'm definitely going to look into the single. Anyway here's some pictures. Sorry for the through-the-bars pics but if I opened the cage they would've gotten up.

Raaaah you guys are doing it wrong! I've only seen them go inside of it once, otherwise they sleep on top. -_- But at least they're using it!

dgm1hu.jpg

13yhvcz.jpg

And Dexter sleeping on the books. ^_^

2qddger.jpg

Mine regularly sleep on top of the hammocks instead of inside them. I think it's the whole 'get to the highest point' instinct they have.

Back