Simon: 8/15/07 - 5/19/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyR

My dear sweet Simon. There was absolutely nothing about Simon that concerned me this morning. This evening, I had planned on cleaning cages and giving them their dinner after Dancing with the Stars, but I decided to go ahead and feed them first, then I would clean afterwards. Simon didn't run for the food as usual. He was huddled in the corner and gasping for breath. Oh god, not Simon. Why Simon? The look in his eyes...kind of glassy, a bit scared. He showed no interest in food and water - not even chocolate syrup.

Sometimes you know there's just not anything to do but be able to hold them and love them in their last minutes. I laid on the couch and held him close. I tried to stay as calm as I could for his sake. He needed a strong, comforting mom, not a bawling, broken one. Even the dogs stayed calm and left us alone - and they are usually all over me when I'm on the couch, and are always trying to sniff at the rats when I have one out.

He was working too hard to breathe. He stayed calm until the very end when he panicked and tried to pull himself off of me. I held him close, at my cheek, kissed him. Then he went limp. A few more small breaths, his little heartbeat slowed and stopped under my fingers. He was gone.

Then I lost it. I cried so hard. Harder than I've cried for anything since Jake died. I held him and bawled. I took him to his brothers and let them sniff his body, I called Erin, but she didn't answer, so I left her a message. I couldn't bury him until she called back. He was her heart rat. It just didn't feel right to bury him until I talked to her. I held him until she called, we talked for awhile, and then I buried him in the front garden, with Evie, Jake, Coco, and Ava.

Simon was one of my sweetest boys, and definitely the sweetest of him and his five brothers. He was a peacekeeper. He would get in between two rats who were about to fight and push one away. He would lay on top of one rat to keep another from getting to him. He loved people.

My dear, dear, sweet Simon. You were too young to die.

2465304303_5f4ca907d8.jpg

1798364548_8e70237f2b.jpg

1469232774_a0ac2728a9.jpg

2061027521_3942345c99.jpg

Oh Kristy, I'm so sorry. He went fast, at least he didn't linger, just a very small comfort.
He was a beauty, a wonderful little fellow.
((hugs))

Thank you.

It is a small comfort that he went relatively quickly. What I saw him go through was heartbreaking enough.

His brothers were alot less active than usual during out time/cage cleaning tonight. Even Cyril didn't try to start any fights. Poor guys miss their brother. I kept seeing Jed in the hammock and thinking it was Simon, and then I'd remember. I can't believe he's gone - just like that.

All the others I have lost have been much younger, with me for a much shorter time. Not that any of those losses were easy. Especially Jake. But Simon was the first one to pass that had been around awhile. It hurts. There is a Simon shaped hole in my heart right now.

I am very sorry. He was an exceptionaly handsome rat. Look how glossy his coat was....wow. what a very special boy. I know how upset you must be. What a hard thing to to have to go through......

I'm so sorry Kristy,

such a beautiful and sweet looking little man. :tearful:

I remember when my aunt passed away, far too young. Grandma said that sometimes they are taken early because they are needed elsewhere. I have no doubt that Simon's special qualities were needed at the bridge.

Despite the pain we feel in losing our babies, especially the pain of being there to see the struggle, take comfort that he carried mom's lovely face, as the last thing he saw, with him to the Bridge.

A blessing in disguise to be allowed to be with a loved one to see them off into the light. Simon is in a beautiful place Kristy.

Always remember that you were a huge part of what helped send him there. There is nothing more beautiful than a rainbow at the end of the light. You will see him again... he will be the pot of gold at the end of your rainbow. :love6:

Hey...it's me, Erin. I had to create a new account because I couldn't remember the email address I used for the old one.
I just don't even have words...poor sweet baby. I miss him so much already. Now I'm crying at work. Have to go get ahold of myself...:tearful:

Thanks again. When I went to bed this morning, I went to sleep thinking of Simon and Jake playing together at the bridge. Simon came home later on the same day that Jake passed, so they never got to play in real life. They would have been the best of buddies, and now they can be.

Ok, gotta leave for work in five minutes, so I'm leaving this thread for now so I don't start bawling again.

I am so sorry. He was way too young to die, and you had no time to prepare for losing him.

How hard it is to suppress all those painful feelings and go to work acting as if nothing had happened. I hope that you have a day off soon so that you have time to grieve for Simon.

No days off till Friday. Fortunately, most of the people at work actually understand how much I love these guys. And I've made almost everyone here tonight tear up with the story.

I'm just grateful that I was off Monday night so that I could be with him and comfort him when he passed. I would not have been able to do that if I'd had to work.

Kristy, I am so sorry for the loss of Simon :heart:

It is so hard seeing them go. I really hope that you and Simon's brothers/cagemates will recover from this sad :cry3: loss.

Back