Signs of impending death?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lise

Okay, as you all know I have no experience with elderly rats and old age since my previous rats all had to be PTS at young ages.

Tevy is now 2 1/2 years old. She has over the past week become very very very slow moving. So slow it almost looks painful. She no longer stashes her lab blocks (which she would ALWAYS do immediately), and is eating hardly any lab blocks now. She only comes out of her hidey holes occasionally, mainly late in the evening when I put out baby cereal & dog food for her. She just doesn't seem like her normal self at all.

Is this normal for old age, and could go on for awhile longer? Or should I be taking these as signs that she isn't going to be with us for much longer?

She could be just adapting to her capabilities and could go on for much longer or it could very well be the beginning to the end for her.
I actually love this time I have with my oldies. We spend a lot of time together cuddling, giving her extra foods so she keeps her body weight up and helps her stay warm too.

It must be a great feeling though... having her reach 30 months when before you'd lose them way too young. It's quite an accomplishment. ;)

If her eyes are bright still, she's adapting to her new limitations. If she seems unhappy or disinterested and just going through the motions then it could be sooner than later.

I really hope its the former, she's such a sweet girl!! :heart:

I also am very fond of the older rescues myself...the golden age can be a sad time but it can also be immensely rewarding. A bit more care and attention needs to be taken with your elderly rats, but like Jo said, its a great opportunity for more bonding.

Back