Sign of pregnancy? Maybe

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

I had a situation about 3 weeks ago tomorrow that my male and female got together. (The ironic part is that He was scheduled for a neuter the day after they got together) anyways, the male is fixed now, and i have been waiting for snoopy the female to fatten up some.... she is do now either today or tomorrow or possibly the next day.
We are prepared for the babies, and will be keeping all of one sex and have found great homes for the other if she is pregnant.
She does not seem as big as I would expect her to be, as I have been looking at pregnant mommas on the site.. She just has a little pudge- not much more than the other girls in the cage
She has been eating more than the others, but that is also cause she is more out going and "snoopy" to see whats going on more than the other rats which is why she got her name....
ANyways last night she has been laying and sleeping in random spots out in the open on the shelves and pans, rather than hiding in the million beds and tunnels they have and i found that odd.... is that a possibly sign? Has any one elses rats done this before giving birth??

Just wondering because she has never done this before... I wish i knew if she was or not
We'll seee soon I suppose

At this point, you should be able to palpate the babies. I don't think different sleeping patterns would be a sign of pregnancy. I've had rats that would all of a sudden change their bed preference.
Has she made a nest? Is she nippy with her cagemates?

Males and females getting together does not always mean they will do the deed. The female needs to be in her cycle. If a male tries with a female not in heat, he aint getting any. :lol:

Well thats a good sign. I was not sure if she was in her heat or not when they got together.
I was hoping she was not ofcourse. We have not noticed nesting at all, however I have been at work all day today and they say she can start right before she gives birth. I will be home soon to check. I have not noticed any other changes in her.
Thanks

It was very noticeable the day of and the day before Piper had her babies.......she looked like a thin rat that had swallowed a ball.......So I would think if your girl should be due today or tomorrow it would be noticeable...unless it is a small litter........

Back