*sigh* Intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalrose

So I had to take Oliver to the vet this morning to get a bite glued. Onyx bit him right above the eye. He did this to Romeo last week too, just not the the point of stitches.

I don't know what to do. Onyx keeps biting the little ones on the face...and since their hairless, they cut easily. They've been living separated on the top and bottom of the R-695 for a little over a week...what should my next step be then? Tobi could care less about the boys, but Onyx bites them bad...and he's already neutered.

What should I do in the meantime though...continue intro-ing them? I can't afford too many eVet bills at $90+ a pop to get these guys stitched up every time.

Maybe I should start switching them from top to bottom every other day or so? Is that reasonable?

When I put them together it's in the tub (with no water...a towel down and some boxes). When I let each group out separately it's on the couch one before the other.

I'm thinking of continuing things with Tobi...so take him out when I take the young ones out, then take Onyx out when I put the young ones back. Tobi doesn't seem to have a care in the world about them. Even when we took (stupidly) the young ones out on the couch with the older ones he didn't care (Onyx of course bit one).

Is there something I could do about him biting so severely. I'm just afraid one of them is going to lose an eye.

I mean I don't think he's trying to maim...it's maybe because their hairless that his bites are so much worse than they should be. I just don't want them to get hurt any further.

When you see Onyx going near the babies, put your hand in between them with a firm NO. This may teach him that the babies are hands off.

Back