Sick rattie not eating her regular food

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by elricsgirl, Apr 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Apr 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM #1

elricsgirl

elricsgirl

elricsgirl

I have a sick girl who isn't eating her Oxbow. She's eating her fruits and veggies when I give them to her, but she won't eat her food.

She has a respiratory infection and is slightly dehydrated. The vet suggested that I give her plenty of watery foods in addition to her regular diet since her poops are small and dry. Is it okay to grind up some of her Oxbow and mix it with some baby food or some of her canned pumpkin, just to get that extra nutrition in?

2. Apr 13, 2019 at 5:09 PM #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

yes,
    you can also grind up the oxbow and add cool water to make mush
    you can also feed organic soy infant formula thickened a bit with baby cereal as the formula contains needed nutrition
    she may also like cooked whole grains like cooked organic oatmeal, cooked organic quinoa, etc

3. Apr 14, 2019 at 9:37 PM #3

elricsgirl

elricsgirl

elricsgirl

Thank you! I soaked the Oxbow and smashed it up with a little baby food and she ate it right up.

SQ and Kye like this.
  4. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM #4

elricsgirl

elricsgirl

elricsgirl

My sweet girl took a turn for the worst and wasn't even really able to walk today. She had a lot of red discharge and wasn't eating or drinking. She was also doing weird stretches and shaking her head a lot. Our vet said that she didn't have more than a couple of days and pain meds probably wouldn't help her, so we put her down this afternoon. I am gutted.

Thank you so much for your advice and support these past few weeks. This forum has been a ton of help.