Should She Be Put Down?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2333

My sister's rat Violet has had this issue for a while. It only has gotten worse over time.

She took her into the vet a while ago and the vet said it was a cyst. However, I think it's might be something worse like cancer or a malignant tumor.

Warning: the pictures are a bit gross: The first 5 images below were taken on November 24th. The following 4 pictures were taken tonight, December 8th. As you can see, it got worse.

She's on baytril.

It also smells bad. Especially when she pees. She's still active surprisingly and does not show symptoms of pain.

I told my sister that she should consider/get ready to put her down.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 117
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 102
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Omg that poor baby! Have y'all been cleaning it, or flushing it out? Also, a call back to the vet should be done, to let them know it's gotten worse. Hopefully she can be helped and not just put down. Hope she gets better!

My sister's rat Violet has had this issue for a while. It only has gotten worse over time.

She took her into the vet a while ago and the vet said it was a cyst. However, I think it's might be something worse like cancer or a malignant tumor.

Warning: the pictures are a bit gross: The first 5 images below were taken on November 24th. The following 4 pictures were taken tonight, December 8th. As you can see, it got worse.

She's on baytril.

It also smells bad. Especially when she pees. She's still active surprisingly and does not show symptoms of pain.

I told my sister that she should consider/get ready to put her down.

Any thoughts?
Looks like she might be making it worse herself. Daily saline flush. What about worms or mites? Just a thought.

I had a couple of girls with those types of cysts and they were in a lot of pain and the flushing never helped at all. I would do what is kindest for her.

Most vets do not know how to humanely put a rat to sleep so when it is time you will need to make sure it is done properly and stay with her if possible. The rat is given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery, when the rattie is unconscious to at least a surgical level (vet needs to check to make sure no eye or food reflex when toes gently pinched) then the rattie is injected (usually into the abdomen or liver). The rattie continues to breath in the gas/oxygen mix and stay deeply unconscious until dead - vet will check for a heart beat and then recheck a few minutes later. A conscious rat must never be injected into the heart as this is so cruel it is illegal in some places {{hugs}}

Back