Should I stay home because my Kiwi is sick :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

My baby, kiwi, has an URI...a bad one. Tons of red discharge, losing weight and dehydrated. I feel so bad and today I tried to give her a treat but she didnt use her hands. It's like she didnt have hands and was trying to get it with her mouth. Obviously she has trouble eating so I'm gonna crush up some baby food, a wee bit of dog food and oatmeal together with water and feed her by hand tonight. Trouble is, I have school tomorrow and I know there suppose to eat every couple hours so what should I do? I'm pretty sure she has trouble getting water too because the bottle is high up and i dont think she can reach. Should I stay home from school? What should I do?! I'm soo worried!

If you feel like you should stay home I would. Our Leia is having a hard time getting to the water bottle so I put some water in a cat dish that we have. So there's water in one side and baby food in the other. It works great because it's low enough for her to get to. Might want to try something like that if you can't stay home?

this is such a tough decision... when raina was sick.. and linds was gone...i had trouble going into work... its one of those things you have to decide.. will you get in trouble or miss out on a lot if you dont go.. or do you need to go in or you wont have enough to pay the rent.. if you can "afford" to stay home.. than stay.. cause you prolly wont concentrate anyway.. but if you cant "afford " to stay.. then go. im sure kiwi would understand.

It's such a tough decision. But if you have a small dish of liquid handy, see if she will drink by herself. I have some older girls who need encouragement to eat, so I have a small dish of Ensure as well as a dish of water in their cage at all times. I also have a small dish with lab blocks mushed with water and baby food. They will eat, though usually more at night than in the day time.

If she won't take any food or liquid by herself, you'll have to get up early and feed her from your fingers. I found that if I get the girls started they will keep eating on their own, so it's safe for me to go to work. How I wish I had a workplace that would tolerate me having a hospital cage near to my desk!

Please keep us posted on how your ratty is doing.

Back