Should I get my senior female a new friend?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanief987

I got Metilda and Meribella from a family that had to give them up due to their little girl having allergies. They knew a lot about their history, they are sisters and hadnt been around any other rats since leaving mom.

Now in their senior years unfortunately Metilda passed on tonight :(
I'm not sure how Id feel about introducing Meribella to someone new because she's old but at the same time I know rule of thumb generally is to keep rats in pairs.

It's quite obvious shes missing her pal :(

If you can afford another rat or two, she'd be immensely happier with rat buddies again. The assumption that introductions would be difficult because she's never met rats not related to her is mistaken... rats can and do form tight bonds with other rats that are not related.

If you would like to have more rats after Meribella passes on, then I would get a pair and introduce them to Meribella. My cage has several unrelated rats - they all live together.
If you are not planning on having more rats, then maybe see about fostering a rat if there's a rescue in your area.

She would be much happier with one or two friends.
Sometimes rats become very depressed when their friend dies and getting new friends helps them.
There are established gradual intro steps to follow when introing new rats so that no one gets hurt

Think you all so much for your wonderful advice - I followed your suggestions and THREE new girls are coming tomorrow!

I took some time to grieve with Meribella who is still clearly missing her sister. Also Meribella has entered her senior age and physically finds it tough to get around properly with her hind legs not being that strong. Her legs are still operating just not as great as they once did. She is still loving being pet and drinking/eating showing no signs of pain. After loads of research it turns out its just in the aging process. She's a tough girl!

The 3 joining us tomorrow are the 3 T's from Henry's Haven, they're also adults and came from Toronto!

I'm really excited to have them and I know Meribella is going to appreciate the company during her retirement.

I'm sorry for your loss :( It's wonderful that you're getting three friends for your lonely girl, and that you're rescuing them...awesome! Let us know how the intro process goes. :joy:

Back