should i force feed her?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

my rat is really sick (see ER) and vet has seen her, she is on amoxil and baytril. She refuses to eat or drink and i can see her weight melt off. Should i force her to drink from a syringe? This is a critical time for her as she could go either way and iam afraid she isnt getting enough liquids and calories to stay alive.

Pick up some Ensure (strawberry is the fav at my house, with vanilla a far second), then syringe feed her...she should either lick at the end of the syringe, or put it in the side of her mouth and she will swallow...watch for her not swallowing as it will spill out of her mouth. Some also prefer biting down on the syringe end and using their tongue and swallowing.

If she won't swallow, you may have to take her back to the vets.

Persuasion, even if you have to have her lick food off your finger, is preferable to force feeding. If she is not drinking you may have to have your vet give her some subcutaneous fluid.

Godmother said:
Persuasion, even if you have to have her lick food off your finger, is preferable to force feeding. If she is not drinking you may have to have your vet give her some subcutaneous fluid.

She wont even lick food off of my finger :sad3: The vets are closed for the weekend and wont consider this an emergancy (small town) i have to wait till monday.

SQ said:
Do what lilspaz68 suggested.
She needs fluids now.
If she is seriously dehydrated, it is an emergency.

Yes i bought some complete meal shakes and she had about 1ml of it (not willingly though) and she doesnt look happy at all.

Unfortunatly this is a small town and they dont really consider rats as pets, i was lucky she was seen and treated today.

Watch the sodium levels in the stuff you are feeding her, especially if she has fluid in her lungs. (hold her up to your ear and listen to each side of her chest to tell if she is conjested.)

If dehydrated, pediatric electrolyte from the drug store will help. It is given orally. (mine like grape)
Lilspaz68 has a rehydration formula posted on here that can be used as well.

Try offering her food every 30 to 60 minutes. Liquid is best at this point... But I wouldn't force it on her. If she's having trouble breathing, eating is the last thing on her mind. It takes all the energy away and she needs it to breathe.

pablum made with 10% table cream will provide vitamins, minerals and the fat she could use. Made sure the temperature is warm. Another thing is popsicles. They are alot of sugar, but fluid non the less.

Maple305 said:
pablum made with 10% table cream will provide vitamins, minerals and the fat she could use. Made sure the temperature is warm. Another thing is popsicles. They are alot of sugar, but fluid non the less.

Yes i made jell o. that will be ready tomorrow morning. I will let you guys know how she is, as of now, her breathing hasnt gotten better but she is moving a little more now, i saw her go to the upper level to sleep with her playmates.

Take some of the jello you made and give it to her now. If its to hot, add alittle bit of ice to cool it.
See if that will work.

Back