shivering/quivering rat who is NOT cold?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
why would a rat shiver or quiver when they are not cold?

I have had several do this over the years, most of the time I figured they were excited but a few times the rats who did this were not well

does anyone know why are rat shivers?

temblabamomo said:
Are you certain it isn't just really hard teeth grinding, causing a full-body tremor effect?

99.9% sure there is no teeth grinding involved

it really feels like a shiver to me when I'm holding them

I don't know if I would notice this is I wasn't hold them, I mean, for all I know they do this all the time and I just can't see it, but its very obvious is you are holding one of them

I'm holding Smidgen and she has reasons to be excited, reasons to be afraid and she is also has a swelling on her bottom that may or may not be causing her discomfort....

and she is shivering/quivering

so I'd really like to try to figure out if this is something a rat does when they are scared, excited, sick or ..........??

I don't know how excited she is to have me pick her up LOL so she could just be happy, but I don't recall her ever doing before she got this swelling

I have also been taking her out of the cage to soak her bottom and to express any poop that may be blocked, and to do all sorts of other things she may not be thrilled about

so it's really a toss up as to how she's feeling right now

she just settled on my shoulder and has stopped shivering, so I am hoping it was just that she thought I was gonna stick her in the sink again LOL

which she does not seem to mind very much. either that or she is just very subtle about her disapproval

Hmm, I always think it's fear/nervousness.

My boy has been doing it when I give him medicine. He's not bad about taking it, but he very clearly doesn't enjoy it.

jorats said:
All mine do it when they are unsure, nervous or worried.

thanks joanne, that's got to be what it is, then.

she hasn't shivered since this last time- probably because I've stopped soaking her butt. :lol:

she's been pooping on her own ok now so that's not necessary
poor little lady, I was making her nervous!
:hugs:

Back