Shelter Work GREAT NEWS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

Some of you know I work at an animal shelter. It is a wonderful shelter IMO. I love the people I work with and all the animals in our care. They are like our own pets. We all foster animals in our home that need extra TLC.....even the ones that just need a break and a little extra loving. Puppies always go home with someone as do momma cats and small kittens.....It is not unusaul for me to have a couple extra cat or kittens and a few extra dogs.......
I recently brought home a beautiful long haired black cat named Chubby. Chubby recently came down with URI.....which is not uncommon in a shelter environment.....We are lucky and don't get it often but when we do we are all very good at treating and caring for the animal. It usually runs it course in no time at all. Chubby was one of the ones that just didn't seem to respond. He stopped eating and seemed very lethargic. So I brought Chubby home. What a very sweet boy.
I couldn't coax him to eat so I syringed special food from the vet into him, I have had him here for 5 days and even though he didn't seem any better he never got any worse.....until last night. I took him into the vets this morning and the prognosis is not good. Chubby has Herpes virus. He also has bladder stones. Neither thing is fatal but his treatment will cost over $900 without any guarantees. Also he would have to be adopted to a household that has no other cats......he will be a herpes carrier for the rest of his life. We have made the very difficult decision to have Chubby euthanized. It is part of the necessary evil when working in a shelter. There are so many cats....our waiting list is long and never ending.
It is so difficult to have to make these decisions but many times in shelter work you must think with your head, not your heart.
Good-bye sweet Chubby........there is not a dry eye in the shelter. We are all crying. We love you. You are our boy.

Chubby.jpg

Poor little boy :(

I think you guys did the best you could in the situation you were in. Hugs to you all at the shelter. Sorry you had to lose him :(

What a lovely boy he was. I am learning all about how a shelter HAS to work rather than how we think it should work. Sarah told me that this sick little cat I had really liked and helped her treat one day had to be pts...she kept losing weight, but they also have a sweet boy named Dawson that has an immune-deficiency issue and he is getting meds and care, and constantly squalling for attention.
Chubby had just too many strikes against him...RIP pretty little man. :sad3:

It takes a strong person to work at a shelter. You gave him so much and tried hard too. In the end, Chubby is being called home.
Fast journey little man...

What a gorgeous boy. Look at those eyes .... :sad3: I'm sorry, V. It takes a special person like you to do what you do, day in and day out.

Chubby is still with us.....I just came back from visiting him.......The vet is doing some more blood work and trying to save him...She has offered her time free and a discount on the procedures.......If he can be saved we will do it.......but she cautioned us not to get our hopes up.

Chubby is still doing good.....He is staying at the vets until Monday. If he continues to do good he should be able to come home on Monday. I am heading over to visit him in a little while. He purrs so hard while I am there and will eat for me....a little.

Dahlas said:
I am heading over to visit him in a little while. He purrs so hard while I am there and will eat for me....a little.

It sounds like he loves you

yyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Im so glad the vet is trying to save him!! :happydance:

Is there an update on Chubby? I hope he's doing okay.

I fostered some kittens and one came down with URI after her spay. The vet said that she likely had herpes virus as it's quite a common virus in cats - most have been exposed to it and it's only because she was so stressed from her spay and subsequent treatments that she came down hard with symptoms.

I wouldn't think that would be something that would prevent him from being adopted to a home with other cats! I do however understand the cost decision that needs to be made. Unfortunately with SO many homeless cats, you have to look at the bigger picture sometimes. :(

It's been tough enough for me just working with the cats and having them be euthanized when they really are in a bad way and won't recover, I can't imagine fostering someone and then having him/her put to sleep. You're very brave and dedicated Dahlas. I'm sure all the animals you encounter benefit from that.

Back