Sheldon's furbabies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and by the way I had to clean that entire side of her body of porphyrin stain. I gave Tramadol too, assuming it is uncomfortable at the very least, if not painful.

Eye issues are common but Lilspaz is the pro at that so I will wait for her. It doesnt look to bad, compared to some I have seen. The drops will help is she on meds orally for infections? or steroids?

That looks like Peanut's eye did when it ruptured. Sorry I don't have a computer right now, but you can search for his thread its title Peanut's eye or something like that. We had to have it removed - it was a very long, costly, and stressly process. Its possible all her problems are a result of this and it could just be an infection that has now ruptured, but you need to be aggressive so it doesn't get to her brain. Peanut's got infected from poop and him scratching it (after surgery) so despite what I wanted he had to wear the cone for quite some time. Yes its painful, he was on tramadol and metacam along with strong antibiotics

That poor, poor girl... She just can't catch a break.
Fingers crossed that this has been the problem the whole time and that she will heal with antibiotics and pain meds. Do you think she would do OK if she needed an enucleation?

Not at this point because she is too underweight. If I can figure a way to get at least 50g on her she would have a better chance.

Is there a possibility of stroke? Maybe blowing out that eye on her? She lives alone now or still with others, if with others I would consider that a friend-induced rupture. Poor Sheldon.

With the collection of symptoms and gradual malaise, I really have the feeling her poor breeding is catching up with her, and that she is aging very fast for such a young rat. Try looking at her like you didn't know her age and thought she might be elderly? Try to turn off the side that says "she's ONLY 14 months old!"

Peanut was close to 1000g when this happened and he lost weight fast, but he had the weight to lose. He's made up for it though.

Poor Sheldon.... I can't imagine how you feel. When Buck was just wheezing a few weeks ago I was extremely stressed and worried...
So during the X-rat they didn't find any tumors?
That's a good thing...
Hopefully it is just an infection in the eye.... Good catch from the vet too. Sending healing vibes and hugs and kisses you and Sheldon's way.... (The kisses are more for Sheldon....[emoji12])

She looks like a 24-28 month old rat.

She sounds like she's aging super quickly...I had that happen as well with a rat that had hydrocephalus as a baby and was always a little off...she ended up passing by 18 months. She had cataracts developing by the time she was 9 months old and of course she was the sweetest most wonderful girl :(

In the last 2 months Serena aged insanely...she looked like a 30 month old rat just before she left us. Here she is beside 32 month old 3-legged Sparrow who was in a lot better shape than her.

jul20SparrowandSerena.jpg~original

If you feel its aging, then just try to spoil her with what she wants, and try to enjoy each day :(

I am sooooo sorry Sheldon!
Poor sweet lady! No words right now, just know you're in my thoughts today. Rest easy pretty girl! [emoji22] [emoji72] [emoji257] [emoji174]

Back