sharp nails

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this problem with my two 5 week old rats for a long time. I tried clipping them and then, when that didnt work I tried using a file (like one that you use on your finger nails). When all those failed I put a brick in their cage in an area where they have to run across occasionally (not in a frequently travelled area as it might cause some damage to the paws and/or tail). The final one seemed to work. I just found that you had to make sure it was kept SO clean because (as I later found out) it was being used as their toilet area. And of course, that it was clean when it initally went into the cage.

Good luck!

I put bricks in my cages, (Thanks Meghan and chuck :wink2: ) and I place them under their water bottles, that way they've got to stand on them to get a drink, and if a bottle leaks, the brick soaks it up!

henry's_mum said:
I put bricks in my cages, (Thanks Meghan and chuck :wink2: ) and I place them under their water bottles, that way they've got to stand on them to get a drink, and if a bottle leaks, the brick soaks it up!

that is an awesome idea! i love it

I cut all my girls nails with a regular nail clipper once a week. I have to be very carful not to hit a nerve though. They also sit very still for me because they know they are going to receive a treat after :D

We use granite rocks...we put them in places they can't avoid like igloo entrances, under water bottle, etc...They can also be used to hold towels down and can be put in the dishwasher to make sure they are nice and clean....we make sure they don't have sharp edges or corners.

They seem to really like certain ones, too.

Christie said:
I cut all my girls nails with a regular nail clipper once a week. I have to be very carful not to hit a nerve though. They also sit very still for me because they know they are going to receive a treat after :D

i wish i could do that with my girls.. they keep moving around and wont stay still. :/

ratzy!! said:
i wish i could do that with my girls.. they keep moving around and wont stay still. :/

i found that its easiest to have a second person help you. Like when i trim my rats nails (sometimes i use baby fingernail clippers and other times i use cat nail trimmers) my mom will hold the rats while i quickly cut the nails. This seems to work okay as long as you remember to be careful, i accidently cut on of my rats nails to deep and it bled alot. Try and have quik stop or flour on hand to dab over the nail if it starts to bleed.

okay i will do that. it is funny i should have thought of that, i also own a bird and we have to have one person hold him in a towel and then the other person use the clippers to clip his nails. do you think i can use bird timmers?

You should b able to as long as their not huge. You want to b able to see the nail clearly, and make sure you have a treat to give out wen your finished if u have one avalible.

Back