Shadow the Sweet Aug. 2005 to May 12, 2008 :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Shadow was a rehome who was coming up to 2 when I got her. Notamuised had run into trouble and had to rehome most of her rats so 2 of her old ladies came home with me along with 4 more Wildgirls that I had originally adopted out to her. No regrets with taking in these ladies :mrgreen:

Shadow was a bit confused when I first got her home and was a bit antsy but then settled down, lay her head on my hand and asked me with her eyes “Are you my new mom?”
Shadow.jpg

Very quickly she became a very content little girl :)
Shadowiscontent.jpg

She loved her old cagemate Maddy…Maddy made a great pillow!
MaddyandShadowMay2.jpg

Sadly much older Maddy ended succumbing to a throat abscess that we fought, but she was too old and weak…she left Shadow and I 1 ½ months after she arrived. L

So Shadow was alone. I introduced her to a nicer group of girls and even they just took her for granted and ostracized her a little. Shadow being the sweet passive girl never seemed to really notice, but I always did. I just wanted my Shadow girl to be happy and have real friends.

And Shadow gained a big belly…
ShadowbellyMay19.jpg

Are you my best friend?
ShadowandRenniebff4.jpg

She met my big girl Selene who weirdly enough became her big sister/protector until she passed.
SeleneisgoingtoprotectShadownow.jpg

Then after Maddy and Selene left, it was only Portia and Rennie who were bonded. Rennie was not kind to Shadow and would make her scream every once in awhile, which I hated but Shadow forgave her every time and I knew she would be miserable on her own. My little girl just wanted to be loved but it wasn't happening with these other girls. :(

Next came sweet tiny older Mattie, but sadly Mattie was only with us for a short while as well. A bad vet had OD’d her on ivermectin and the first of her strokes hit her a couple of weeks after she came home.
ShadowandMattieDec13.jpg

And then it happened!! I introduced sweet old Shadow to 2 new rescue boys (now neutered) that I had taken in. It was love!!!
Here she is snuggled with Wilbur
ShadowandWilburintheteenycube.jpg

And here with Wilbur and her other Main Man Otto
ShadowWilburandOtto.jpg

Look at my sweet lady smile now :D
Shadowlikesthenewcage2.jpg

After this more rats got added to the happy group :D
Starting with the little terror Carina Snake Biter...
OttoShadowandCarina.jpg

Cuddled up with Keely
ShadowhasaKeelyPillowMar15.jpg

Shadow even as an elderly girl just kept going happily, clambering up her 4 ' Martin's cage, she was wobbly and scruffy and happy as a clam until she started gasping last week for a part of the night. But she bounced back until this weekend. She wanted to be with me all the time, it was an odd weekend, I didn’tget much done except a lot of loving. :D She lay on me and I stroked her while she slept. I actually managed to re-watch the entire first season of Buffy :roll:
When she decided this morning she could not gobble down her syringes of Ensure like usual, I knew it was time and I took her to my vet and dropped her off to be pts. :sad3:

I hope my Shadow has too many friends now, she deserves them and its all she has ever wanted. And I hope she finds her Maddy and her Mattie as well. :heart: :heart:

Aw Shelagh these past weeks have been so hard for you. Shadow was a beautiful loving girl. Play hard sweet one. :hugs:

2008 certainly hasn't been kind to you Shelagh!

I'm so sorry that you've had to suffer another loss. :cry5:

Geeze, Shelagh, I'm so sorry. What a rough time this has been for you lately. God, it's hard losing them close together like that. Been there. Big, big hugs to you!

:rose2:

What a tough time lately for you Shelagh, so many losses. :( I'm so sorry, Shadow was an amazing girl. Lots of hugs being sent your way!

Shelagh, I'm sorry to hear about Shadow, although you warned us last week. It is a comfort that you had a nice weekend together.

She was a special girl. With so many losses, I hope you are OK. Hugs to you. :hugs:

Thank you for reliving your memories of Shadow :heart: with us.
It brough tears to my eyes, remembering your earlier posts about Shadow :heart:
I am so very sorry.
:hugs:

Shelagh, I'm so sorry for all the losses you had. I hope that everyone at the Shack will help cheer you up a bit. :)

For the loss of Shadow, one sweet girl, I say, play hard at the bridge, and know you'll always be in your Mommy's heart. :heart:

You really have to stop with the great tributes you give your kids, you seriously bring tears to my eyes everytime. I am so sorry and I truly hope your heart gets a break for a little while. RIP Shadow she was so beautiful.

Melissa's ZOO said:
You really have to stop with the great tributes you give your kids, you seriously bring tears to my eyes everytime. I am so sorry and I truly hope your heart gets a break for a little while. RIP Shadow she was so beautiful.

I am sorry Melissa,
I think of toning them down, but my heart just pours out as I type with tears in my eyes.
I think they deserve the best memorial I can give them and feel badly if it wasn't "enough" in my eyes. :roll:

Trust me you give GREAT tributes and it just shows how much you really, really love them. And I agree you have to get it all out it helps to heal a little and they do deserve the best memorials especially from one of the greatest ratmoms there is.

I hope you don't ever tone down your tributes Shelagh... they make me feel like I've known every rat you've lost personally.

Poor sweet Shadow... I didn't think it would be quite so soon for her.

And I'm so sad to read that Saffi is getting there :(

Poor kid, she sure went thru a lot of losses. She's kind of an icon to not giving up on love, isn't she?
I so love the picture of her & Wilbur tho the one of her hangin' in the cage door is a priceless portrait..

She really lived tho didn't she? She didn't just exist. She really lived ups & downs and all her sadnesses just led to happy new beginnings in the long run. The spirit that left you is no doubt a very happy positive one that once she has reunited with those she loves will set about sharing the meaning of hope & love with those who never found it here.
I bet your Shadow brings Sunshine to heaven.

Hugs.

Oh gosh, Shelagh, so many losses in such a short time! I just love that first photo, a perfect picture of trust.

:heart:

Your tributes are where your heart lies Shelagh,

It is a way of coping with the grief of losing your loved ones.

Take comfort in knowing that the tears we shed, on your behalf, are gladly shed. Do not deny yourself the right to post your tributes. They are beautifully written and do justice to the love you feel for your babies.

As always, Shadow will..... as others have done before her.... take the love you gave them along on their way to the bridge.

If every rat, in the world, were as fortunate to enjoy the care and affection they find with owners like you, the world would be a better place. :love6:

Your picture hangs where it belongs... in Shadow's heart. :heart:

Back