Shade – July 2010 to August 17, 2012 :’(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I knew this day was coming, and I thought I was more prepared, but I guess my head was but not my heart. I feel like I have a huge brick on my chest and I am having trouble keeping the tears from spilling.
Miss Shade was let go this morning, after she went “bad” last night. I am not sure if her inner ear infection recurred, or her pituitary tumour was growing, but she was unable to walk properly last night, and with the tumour on her chest she was having too much trouble balancing. I held her on my chest most of last night, and said goodbye in the vet clinic lobby. Twenty minutes of stroking and talking to her, ignoring the looks from the dog owners dropping off their little dogs for procedures. She was content and bruxxing while lying on her side in my lap. I handed her off to my favourite Vet Assistant and then kissed her goodbye. :sad3:

Shade and Syra were from another kijiji ad where the owners were going to let these girls go out in the back woods if no one took them. They didn’t want them anymore. A wonderful women named Jennifer Kelley who lived near the area arranged to pick them up and bring them to me. Its always a bit nervewracking taking in new rescues as you have absolutely no clue what you will be getting. There is usually no mention of lice/mites , tumours, URI’s etc...but even Shade shocked me when I saw her. She was supposed to be about 15 months old and was sooo tiny and skinny and unhealthy looking. She was dehydrated, starving, her coat was brown, rusty and thinning and she had an untreated inner ear infection which left her with a pretty severe head tilt. Her initial weight was 176 grams whereas her sister was about 290 grams.

oct2Shade2.jpg

I heard from the owners that they were angry at little Shade (my name for her) because she was sickly. They loved her healthy sister apparently but were still planning at tossing them outside in a day or 2 of the ad...what the hell is wrong with people?! They even had the nerve to ask to come visit "their girls" once Shade was healthy!

I was sure I would lose Shade, she was just so unwell but this brave little thing decided to surprise me again...in a good way. :D

She gained 26 grams in her first day and I figured out a very important thing about Shade. Her healthy sister would cuddle near her when Shade wasn’t well, but when she was starting to feel better would start shoving her around like a normal sibling LOL

oct3ShadeandSyra.jpg

She was curious, cried when picked up but wasn’t scared of me. Shade also then discovered Puffs...she quickly became an addict *giggle*

Booty comparison with Shade and her sister Syra

oct5bootypicsShadeandSyra.jpg

Comfy

oct7Shade.jpg

Someone is feeling a lot better and bugging her sister

oct10ShadeandSyra.jpg

In 18 days Shade gained 100 grams, her coat became soft and she actually became a black rat!

oct29Shadeisablackrat.jpg

Almost as big as her sister now :D

dec11SyraandShade.jpg

Of course my now chubby Shade developed an inoperable mass that literally spread over her chest wall and up her shoulder a little. My vet agreed it really wasn’t something we could not remove.

mar21Shade4.jpg

Then the next big blow...Shade developed PT. :( I gave her a shot of dexamethasone and started her on the new human grade drug called bromocriptine to see if we could “treat” the pituitary tumour rather than just shrink it enough to remove most of the symptoms like with steroid therapy. We had done a study before with my lovely Issa and had some great results. When a rat does respond well, they keep up their body weight and condition, symptoms are gone, and they live a normal life for a lot longer than anything before. My vet and I wanted to use the bromocriptine to see if we could find a less expensive alternative to extending our rats lives with this fatal condition. Shade became Study Rat #2.

apr28Shade3.jpg

The next day she was already doing so much better, able to move around with her head and tail up.

apr29Shade2.jpg

From there she got so good she was climbing the cage bars, running, climbing and back to being chubby. She started bromocriptine on April 29th so I got 110 days of seriously good quality time with her. I was sure the tumour would take her before the PT ever would LOL

She was content cuddling with her sister

jul26Shade.jpg

And with me...

aug4Shade3.jpg

Play hard at the bridge little one. <3
I'm so very glad I got to help in rescuing you from those horrible owners and bringing you to a wonderful one who then made you the happiest and healthiest girl you could be!
You will be missed by everyone. <3

Oh no... I'm so sorry Shelagh! :hugs:

You girls fought such a got fight, it was all so inspirational. And you both got me to try Bromo with my Cabotine, which helped her a lot too. I'm sad I won't be seeing pictures of Shade anymore, they were like a living memory of my baby. :sad3:

I feel so much for you. So hard losing a friend we have fought so hard for. But now, that PT is out of the equation for good, and the tumour is not bugging her anymore... Play hard at the Bridge, beautiful Shade, and please kiss Cabotine for me...

Poor Shade.

If anything, she's a chubby, little hero- having the guts to "test" those new meds so ratties everywhere can one day get away from this horrible condition.

:cuddle:

Oh Shelagh, you performed miracles with that precious little girl. Shade was such a wonderful example of how TLC goes such a long way.

Rest well sweetie.

I will NEVER understand why some people think animals are "throw away" beings. :gaah:
Without Jenny grabbing them and you nursing Shade back to health they would have ended up outside.
Shade had a good life with you.
She knew love, security and contentment.
R.I.P. Shade. :heart:

I am so sorry for your loss, lilspaz68. Shade was a very special rat, and her second lease on life was one that she obviously cherished. She will be missed. (Hugs)

I am so sorry, Shelagh, for your loss of dear Shade. You gave her a life of joy, and it must be so hard to lose her after such a good initial response to Bromo. ((hugs))

breaks yet swells my heart what a very brave and beautiful girl she is. god meant her to find you.
what a wonderful mom ! you did good. this is life's important work.
honored to read her/your story....it is a great inspiration to my husband and I as we start this journey with our
first love today
hugs
yoland

I'm so very sorry love. You painted her story well, and how lovely to see so much light in a life that had such a rough start. :heart:

My heart sank when I saw the title. She was one of the ultimate hard-luck cases. I was so gladdened to see how lovely she became once she had some proper medicine and care. I am also amazed that you had 110 days more with the PT. That is wonderful! Certainly Bromo is a drug worth pursuing. Is Dr. Munn going to do a post mortem?
Shade, you little lovely lady, rest in peace. You will be missed... :heart:

Back