Severe sudden aggression

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ankm95

hello all!
I have three young ratties, two adopted back in February at around a month and a half old and the third, their younger companion around a month old back in April. The youngest, named Aspen, has become really aggressive as of late. From what i’ve been finding on forums and just reading up, I feel like his aggression is due to hormonal changes. But last week he’d bitten me quite deeply two days in a row when I was attempting to move them to a smaller holding cage so I can deep clean the main cage. It wasn’t too deep, but it was hard enough that I bled a lot. Now I try to pick Aspen up, he screams in fear and I worry that there could be something wrong. Earlier this week upon examining the older two, I found their bodies riddled with injuries. All treated and healing well, but I had to wear some gardening gloves to separate Aspen from the group into a smaller cage adjacent to the main one. Although i’ve called a vet to inquire about neutering, it was suggested I wait till he reaches 6 months before scheduling his surgery. In the mean time i’m trying to handle him and try to show I mean him no harm, but I have to stop considering how many bites I now have. (Now 3)

I handled Aspen the same amount as my other two, Zephyr and Nico, yet Aspen is the most aggressive out of all of them.

How much does your lad weigh? My vet would only neuter rats at 200 grams or more just for their safety. Hormonal behavior can hit younger than 6 months and its actually detrimental to wait on neutering. Call the vet explain he's biting you and unhandleable without gloves at home and now he's injuring his cagemates, can I have that neuter booked now? They may not have realized how severe it was.

Back