'Service' Rat gains privileges of seeing eye dogs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythe

Saw this on FB, thought I'd share.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8046719

A woman in Hesperia has won the right to bring her pet rat with her shopping and into restaurants. The rat performs a very important function.

Dani Moore suffers from spinal nerve damage. She gets muscle spasms and needs to take medication. Because of the nerve damage, she doesn't feel the spasms.

That's where the trained rat comes in. He does feel the spasms and warns Moore by licking her neck.

"He alerts me to spasms in my neck and shoulders. I have nerve injuries so I don't feel them until they get really bad," said Moore.

The Americans with Disabilities Act has a section on service animals. It's mostly about seeing-eye dogs.

The city of Hesperia recognized Moore's situation and passed a special ordinance granting her pet rat all the privileges of seeing-eye dogs.

Video of the woman and her rat on the link, as well. :)

That's officially amazing. I knew that they'd trained Gambian giant rats to find landmines, but I didn't know there were service rats. That is sooooo awesome.

Finally got a chance to actually watch the video, and good lord that dude is HUGE. Somebody gets extra treats ;) Basil is jealous.

Back