Seperating the girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indigo

hey! im new here. i have six girls, but i cant keep all of them anymore cause my mom wont let me because my room is so small and the smell really takes over. Would they be sad and depressed if I re homed two of them? I don't want them to be sad if they get split up.

morning Indigo, maybe it's not too late, if your mom is only concerned about the odor here is a list of things that might just make everyone happy:

#1 size of cage, make sure it can hold 6 rats

#2 what bedding are you using? pine or cedar really stink you may also look at how often you change them as well as using a litter box and having less mess

#3 air flow, I'm nuts about it, being an asthmatic. create an inlet and exhaust to your room going out the window, so have a fan at one end,away from the cage, and a reverse fan sucking air out in the window, this will help, as when my son was living at home, this is what he did for his rats in his bedroom.

Have your mom come online and ask us as well, we can help, at least give it a trial.

Caring for rats is not an easy undertaking, maybe you need help with the husbandry ( care of animals) all together

You could do a number of things:

1. Get a bigger cage
2. Clean the cage everyday
3. Use good little, like yesterdays news

My mom is stubborn i told her everything you guys said. she was all for having the rats in the beginning but now she wants only 2. so i need to know if they will become despressed if they get seperated

I would try and home the ones that are the most bonded. Giving up a pet is never easy so try to consider what is going on with them when finding a new home.
Where in Canada are you? Post more detail (age, sex etc) Pictures are always a heart melter as well.
These should be the first steps in your mission.

Back