Seizures?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drea

Hi, has anyone experienced seizures with their rats? The reason i ask is my rat had abit of 'funny turn' last night she was very wobbly and off balance she got abit better when she was out last night and she was still drinking and eating. This morning she has improved further she is eating, drinking and running around with the other rats but she still has the odd off balance moment.. if anyone has any advice or experiences they can share that would be great.. just to put my mind at ease until i get her to the vets in the morning, im not over worried as shes eating, drinking and playing and seems happy in her self. :) thanks

Godmother said:
Did it come on suddenly, or gradually during the day? Best bet is to be able to describe the change to your vet. How old is she?
Shes 15 months old.. I didnt actually see anything, i came home from work and opened the cage and they come out on there own as i let them roam free around my living room as theres no where to hide or get stuck ect.. Anyway she came out and she was just all over the place, tippping on her side ect.. like she was drunk but she was still eating and drinking.. her walking got better as the night went on and this morning it is considerably better just with few tipping moments.. Just not sure what happened.. ive moved all of her legs about and shes not squeaked in pain at all just let me do it.. Thats why im thinking something inside happened like a mild stroke or a seizure? Im just confused and thinking the worst if im honest :(

Godmother said:
Maybe a mild stroke makes more sense, but it's good that you are taking her in. Our sweeties have so many things that can go wrong.
Thank you for your advice.. Im not too worried.. as shes eating, drinking and playing with her cage mates.. But its still good to have her looked over by a vet :) ive had 11 rats and in my experience if rats are being themselves and are eating drinking and seem happy, they probably are.. my vet agrees :)

It kind of sounds like a mild stroke to me, but I'm not one of the super-almost-vet experts here.

Does she truly only wobble to one side, and that's consistently to that side? If that's the case I would definitely point that out to the vet (i.e. she's always stumbling to the left when she wobbles) if that's the case.

Keep us updated on your sweetie.

Back