Second thoughts about a potential home

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicodemusRattus

Well as anyone could tell, all I've been posting about on this site for the past 2 months has been this and that about Zuki and her sister Aurora's litters. This is my first experience with litters, so I apologize for any stupid-sounding questions I've asked lol. but I really appreciate how helpful you have all been about answering those questions!
Anyway, onto my dilemma lol. When the babies were still nursing, my boyfriend was approached by a friend of his who said she had 2 older males and she was interested in having more boy rats. She said she'd get a separate cage for the babies as well, since we told her that she wouldn't be able to introduce them to the adults until they were around 12 weeks. If the old males even accepted the new ones at all. So we agreed that we would let her take 2 or 3 of the boys when they were ready for weaning. But when the boys were first weaned from their mom, suddenly this lady disappeared for like a month. We figured she was no longer interested in the rats, but just recently my boyfriend ran into her and she said she had moved. She also said she still wanted to take 2 or 3 of our boys. But then she shared this horror story about how one of her 2 adult males bit the other on the face, bad enough to leave a wound. She said that the wound was starting to heal, then suddenly the rat died possibly from complications from the wound. Then she asked us if it would be ok to put our boys in with her remaining rat because it seemed lonely. We said no. Our boys aren't anywhere big enough to fend off a full-grown rat, let alone one that was aggressive enough to wound its longtime cagemate. She seemed to understand, and said she'd keep the babies in a separate cage. Sooo, I don't want to be selfish or anything here. She does like rats, and from the sounds of it she already has the other cage for the babies. But I'm really having second thoughts about giving these boys to her. She seems like she's wanting another boy to keep her lone rat company, and I'm sort of worried she might decide to put our boys in with him anyway. They are about 8 and 9 weeks old, so in another month they're technically old enough to go in with an adult, but I don't want them in with a rat that just attacked another one like that. And even if she doesn't put them in with him, something just seems a little off. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the fact that she didn't contact us for like a month, and even though she likes rats I'm not sure what kind of an owner she is. I feel bad for her that she just lost one of her beloved boys, but maybe she's better off finding another older male and introducing him to her rat in the new cage? Or should he not even be in with other rats after attacking his cagemate so viciously? I would never forgive myself if I give her these boys and something happens to them. That's all I know.

That's another thing I was wondering about. From the way she was talking, it sounded like maybe she thought the wound wasn't that bad and she was letting it heal on its own. Then after a couple days of healing, the rat suddenly died. So to me, it doesn't really sound like she took him to a vet. She said her males are about 2 years old, and it seemed weird enough that after being together that long that he even attacked his cagemate like that. The more think about everything, the more I'm really thinking I can't give her these rats. Am I being selfish?

No, you're not being selfish. If I was in your position, I wouldn't trust that woman, unless she can prove herself to be a responsible rat owner.. but from what you told us, she wouldn't be on my good side!

Do what you can to protect your babies. They deserve the best home!

As previously mentioned, I would want to know about vet care that BOTH rats received,
Sounds like the remaining rat may be ill, etc
If it doesn't feel right, go with your gut.

I don't know what info you have been given but this may help:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29519

Sometimes even when people give all the right answers or seem to have the best intentions, your instinct can tell you otherwise. Don't doubt your instinct about this situation. ask more questions about the vet, etc. you are by no means acting selfishly.

you are well within your rights to ask for the name of her vet and to call and find out if she's actually taken any of her pets there.

I didn't do this with a cat I was going to adopt, I took the person's word for it that the cat had seen a vet, and come to find out, the cat had only been to the vet to be spayed and de clawed, and was way over due for shots. Not only that, the cat was a biter, and they didn't bother to take her in to find out if there was a medical reason for her to biting.
As soon as I found this out, I told them to come back and get their cat!
but I should have insisted on the name of the vet and called BEFORE even seeing the cat

Some vets will be very protective of their clients and not give you any information without calling the client to get permission, others are more concerned about the welfare of the animals and will give you a LOT of information, most seem to be mid way between those extremes.

You can also ask about other pets they have had and what vet those pets saw, what happened to those animals (were they rehomed, and why, did they die, and from what, etc)
these may seem like intrusive questions but they are the same questions that would be asked at a rescue or shelter

Some people that by pass the shelter/rescue option are purposely trying to avoid answering those hard questions.

you can also call shelters and rescues in the area and see if the person is on a "do not adopt to" list for any reason (hoarder, animal abuser etc)

Good luck! It's not the least bit selfish to be looking out for the best interests of those babies.
It's actually the most responsible thing you can do.
:hugs:

Thanks for the feedback guys, at first I was worried that I was being too paranoid or something, but after seeing these responses I have decided NOT to let her take the rats. We're also pretty certain that she did not take her injured rat to the vet, and overall she doesn't seem like a very responsible owner. Today was also the day that she was supposed to stop by and take a look at the rats she was considering adopting from us, but once again she's nowhere to be found and we've heard nothing from her. So that's that, I'm not giving my babies to someone like that.

Back