Scratching post for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saranosaurus

Hi everyone, i'm new to this but was hoping one of you rat lovers out there could give me some advice...
I've got two rats, but my little dumbo rat has recently caught his toe nails and torn most of them out. Despite the blood bath and what looked like a massacre in my bedroom, he is slowly recovering and his nails are growing back fast.
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any scratching posts or rocks that I could place in the cage to keep their nails down? Mostly to avoid catching them but also so I don't have to cut them myself.
Thanks.

Is he catching his nails on anything specific, like a looped rug? If so, you might want to keep him off it or put something down that isn't looped. I have a boy with long nails and I make sure he isn't able to come into contact with certain things that he gets caught on (like old blankets that pill). Sometimes I'll cut his nails, but he HATES it because he's a skiddish boy. I'm interested to see what others suggest!

It takes 2 of us, but we try to clip our guys w/baby nail clippers if they are really long. We will be putting bricks under the water bottles too after reading that on here also.

You are getting some good suggestions.
I've also heard those rough bird perches are good to make rats climb and use their nails on it. I really don't know how effective it is.

Back