Scratches on a bald rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmabeeee1996

I have another question!
I saved a young bald rat along with an older fluffy rat. They are both very sweet. The older one is more anxious and the bald rat is very playful. They are both young enough but I think the bald rat is going through a teenager phase as he is always aggressively grooming and jumping on the back of the fluffy one and pushing him around a bit. He never tries to bite but the fluffy one gets tired of it after awhile and recently I noticed my bald baby has two scratches on his face. Should I be concerned? I think the other rat is just trying to tell him to stop pushing him around so much and I know bald rats get more scratches cause they don’t have hair. It’s a bit concerning because the scratches are on his face. I noticed a tiny one a couple days ago and now there’s a bigger one right on his forehead! He’s not really aggressive he’s just very bossy and kinda brings it on himself to get a warning from the other rat. I really don’t want to separate them as they still snuggle and enjoy the company.

How old are they? If the nakie is young (like under 4 months) he may just be playing and the older rat has finally had enough and has told him to cool it. Bites on the face are more serious but scratches are nothing especially with an active nakie. If you want to post pics we can try to determine the severity.

Thanks for the reply :) I’m not sure if it’s a scratch or a bite! I’ve never seen my fluffy boy bite and most of the time he just lays on his back and does nothing when the bald one is grooming him or jumping on him but he will push his face away and his nails are kinda sharp. Maybe he even hit something and scratched himself? He’s always trying to jump from places that are pretty high up and even though they have many levels in their cage he still jumps from his hammock so it’s very possible he landed wrong and got a scratch. I put extra fleece in the cage because he’s always jumping like that so it’s a softer landing. He’s older than 4 months, he’s 7 months old and the other ratty is 1 year old. Here is a picture of his forehead bite or scratch, it’s healed a lot and looking better but it was pretty big. I just found it odd that he had 3 very small scratches and then a big scratch on his forehead. Not sure what happened!

Attachments

• 46404A57-3C55-4F4A-AE0F-57A5C76ACBAC.jpeg
    46404A57-3C55-4F4A-AE0F-57A5C76ACBAC.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 133
Back