Scratch, scratch, scratch.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to wait for 30 days after the Revo as its in his blood stream until then.

Ok. thank you. I'm calling the vet today just to see if she'll do the test. thanks TONS for your help. Walmart has Blu-kote! My little guy is worth me having to deal with going to walmart. LOL

My Fidget rat developed a skin condition & bumblefoot (as well as other issues - crappy immune system I think, the 3 girls she came with developed none of these issues). The vet gave me oribiotic ointment (didn't help skin or bumblefoot) & Baytril, I tried everything I could think of, medicated dog shampoo fixed her skin up, but nothing helped her bumblefoot (and I tried everything including blu-kote). I finally just kept her on Baytril &/or Doxy over time.. (If the vet thinks it would help, you can buy both online without prescription to help your budget if using long-term)...

My Fidget rat developed a skin condition & bumblefoot (as well as other issues - crappy immune system I think, the 3 girls she came with developed none of these issues). The vet gave me oribiotic ointment (didn't help skin or bumblefoot) & Baytril, I tried everything I could think of, medicated dog shampoo fixed her skin up, but nothing helped her bumblefoot (and I tried everything including blu-kote). I finally just kept her on Baytril &/or Doxy over time.. (If the vet thinks it would help, you can buy both online without prescription to help your budget if using long-term)...

Thank you for taking time to write. I'm so thankful for this forum. I've been using Animax (vet) on the bumbles & they're much better. Still getting blu-kote. The big one is shrinking & not as angry looking. His skin is worse. Someone said it may be a dog type mite that's rare in rats but I can't treat him with Ivermectin yet because he had Revo 12 days ago. He's getting a bald spot on his face that wasn't there yesterday. 2 people here said it could be self barbering from stress or boredom. No shelters have rats right now but a pet store just got FEEDER Rats! I hate that. They're 5-ish weeks old. Is that too young to get Cashew a pal? I'd need another cage since the woman said it's a process introducing a new rat. How do I know if it's an emotional or skin condition? The more I learn, the more questions I have.
(and more confused & frustrated that I don't know how to help him) Am I asking too many question? I don't want to be annoying.

It's definitely not barbering (either self or a cagemate) because of where it's located. Self-barberers usually barber forearms, a little up the shoulders, mid to lower belly, wherever a rat can reach. Where the hairless is on your boy is impossible for him to reach. Get a skin scrape done to look for parasites (mention demodex mites, also called the Red Mange). I'll post a pic of a pretty accomplished self barberer I had.
sep27Larksbarbering.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
It's definitely not barbering (either self or a cagemate) because of where it's located. Self-barberers usually barber forearms, a little up the shoulders, mid to lower belly, wherever a rat can reach. Where the hairless is on your boy is impossible for him to reach. Get a skin scrape done to look for parasites (mention demodex mites, also called the Red Mange). I'll post a pic of a pretty accomplished self barberer I had.
sep27Larksbarbering.jpg

Thank you for the photo. It actually looks exactly what's going on with Cashew. His legs are completely bare.. all 4 of them.. and his belly has a few tufts of hair. His left back haunch (what's it called? hip area) is also barely hairy. It's harder to see in his photos because of his white hair. Do I take him to the vet? The exotic vet in my town doesn't know about rats. More of a turtle, sea bird kinda place. Is this something I can do at home? I guess I'll get him a friend.. but the pet store rats are so young. (feeders for evil snake owners). argh.. I need a lot of help here. I can't stand that he's not happy and healthy.

image.jpg
sep27Larksbarbering.jpg

Thank you for the photo. It actually looks exactly what's going on with Cashew. His legs are completely bare.. all 4 of them.. and his belly has a few tufts of hair. His left back haunch (what's it called? hip area) is also barely hairy. It's harder to see in his photos because of his white hair. Do I take him to the vet? The exotic vet in my town doesn't know about rats. More of a turtle, sea bird kinda place. Is this something I can do at home? I guess I'll get him a friend.. but the pet store rats are so young. (feeders for evil snake owners).
sep27Larksbarbering.jpg

In the first "hair" pic in your original.post he's bare (and pink) up his chest and underside of his neck, which would be impossible place for him to barber. Call the vet and ask them if they can do a skin scrape for demodex. If they cannot ask if you can get injectable ivermectin for parasites.

Bumblefoot is hard to get to go away entirely, so don't be discouraged. One ratty I adopted had very bad bumblefoot and it never went away, but I treated her lil feets daily for it and it got much better. That for sure improved her quality of life. She had the bumblefoot because she'd been kept on hard surfaces and filthy conditions.

I'd strongly advise against getting another ratty from a pet store or breeder. This essentially creates more demand in the pet trade and causes harm which we don't intend. Have you checked craigslist for rat(s) who are being abandoned? There are many there in bad conditions, or whose humans just don't have the time and money to care for them any more.

Keep in mind, all ratties at some point need medical attention, some more than others and you never know who and how much that will be. A rainy day fund for the vet is necessary. Though I'm sure this little guy is much better off with you than before, thank you for taking him in and caring. <3

Bumblefoot is hard to get to go away entirely, so don't be discouraged. One ratty I adopted had very bad bumblefoot and it never went away, but I treated her lil feets daily for it and it got much better. That for sure improved her quality of life. She had the bumblefoot because she'd been kept on hard surfaces and filthy conditions.

I'd strongly advise against getting another ratty from a pet store or breeder. This essentially creates more demand in the pet trade and causes harm which we don't intend. Have you checked craigslist for rat(s) who are being abandoned? There are many there in bad conditions, or whose humans just don't have the time and money to care for them any more.

Keep in mind, all ratties at some point need medical attention, some more than others and you never know who and how much that will be. A rainy day fund for the vet is necessary. Though I'm sure this little guy is much better off with you than before, thank you for taking him in and caring. <3

Thank you for writing. His bumblefoot is a lot better. I don't know how long he'd been in the garage area where the dumpsters are kept. The vet thought it might be from that nasty concrete. Poor bug was so filthy. Did you use Blu-kote? I'm treating him with animax. I made a vet appt. for tomorrow a.m. Going to test his skin. He's miserable with scratching and it's much worse. Now his face has patches and red. I've read about petstore rats. They have FEEDERs and it makes me so sad. BUT.. today, the shelter called to let me know someone brought in male rats. YAY. I'm going to make sure Cashew is healthy enough and won't spread something to a new one. The woman who contacted me used to have rats so I'm happy and lucky for that! The things we do for the furry helpless ones, huh? They need us. I almost wish I didn't care SO much. Thanks again Lilah.

I really doubt this is just from not having a cagemate, something is bothering his skin. If it was just stress then you could make things worse rather than better by subjecting him to intros.
I know you're desperately trying to do anything to help him, and I hate to say it, but getting him a friend at this point might not be the best idea. Did you get a second cage?
Have your tried a skin healing/comforting type shampoo? Of course a bath will cause stress too but I don't think this is just stress.. That's what I'd start with, after the vet does the skin scraping of course. Geez, I hope you can find some answers for both your comfort!

I really doubt this is just from not having a cagemate, something is bothering his skin. If it was just stress then you could make things worse rather than better by subjecting him to intros.
I know you're desperately trying to do anything to help him, and I hate to say it, but getting him a friend at this point might not be the best idea. Did you get a second cage?
Have your tried a skin healing/comforting type shampoo? Of course a bath will cause stress too but I don't think this is just stress.. That's what I'd start with, after the vet does the skin scraping of course. Geez, I hope you can find some answers for both your comfort!

I agree with you. I'll know more tomorrow after another vet visit. I can't take this guessing stuff. I'd rather find out what it is and get a solution. He isn't happy now at all. I can see it in his eyes. It's shocking how fast his skin got so bad. I've washed & then soaked his bedding in almost boiling water several times. The one good thing is the bumbles are looking better. I'll be relieved to see the vet. I'll ask him about a friend. Thanks much for your concern and advice. I'll keep ya posted.

oh, didn't see the rest of your comment. I did bathe him him oatmeal water (the real stuff) and some skin shampoo I had for my cat (just a tad). yeah.. the vet ...tomorrow.. can't come soon enough. It is stressful for us both. He's been sleeping really super hard all day. yikes. I didn't worry this much when I had my KID!

I know that hair loss and itching can also be caused by allergies to foods. Too high of a protien diet , is one cause. Also rice can cause allergies in some as well as many oats. Dry skin can also be a cause. Trick is finding the source . Bumblefoot in my experience is tricky. I have a blind lovebird rescue who suffers from it from time to time. Keeping the wounds clean is paramount as well as housing being adequate to prevent reoccuring bouts. I am also a wildlife rehabilitater, and I see bumblefoot in a fee of my patients. One remedy that can work, depending on the bacteria causing the bumblefoot, is Monostat. Its slow to work but is helpful. I use a mild solution of dawn dishsoap, the one with the duckling on it. A soft bristle toorhbrush. Gently scrub the area with soap and rinse. Dry. Rhen apply the cream. With a ratling, it perhaps is best to use a q-tip instead of a brush . More delicate feetsies I think than a raptor.
Very grateful you rescued Cashew! He's beautiful❤

I know that hair loss and itching can also be caused by allergies to foods. Too high of a protien diet , is one cause. Also rice can cause allergies in some as well as many oats. Dry skin can also be a cause. Trick is finding the source . Bumblefoot in my experience is tricky. I have a blind lovebird rescue who suffers from it from time to time. Keeping the wounds clean is paramount as well as housing being adequate to prevent reoccuring bouts. I am also a wildlife rehabilitater, and I see bumblefoot in a fee of my patients. One remedy that can work, depending on the bacteria causing the bumblefoot, is Monostat. Its slow to work but is helpful. I use a mild solution of dawn dishsoap, the one with the duckling on it. A soft bristle toorhbrush. Gently scrub the area with soap and rinse. Dry. Rhen apply the cream. With a ratling, it perhaps is best to use a q-tip instead of a brush . More delicate feetsies I think than a raptor.
Very grateful you rescued Cashew! He's beautiful❤

Thanks for writing. We went to the vet today. A skin scrape had no mites. Poor kid-it hurt, he cried. Vet thinks allergies. He gave Gentamicin w/ Betamethasone spray. Cashew isn't scratching near as much after using it but he doesn't feel well. His eyes are squinty & he lies really flat. The bumblefoot is much better so I'll keep up with animax. I clean his cage & change out the fleece every other day. I'll try Monostat. You're talking about the yeast infection stuff? kind of funny but it makes sense. This poor guy has been through it. 1/3 of his tail was cut off at one point. His leg had been broken & didn't set right. WHO would do such a thing & not treat him and then DUMP him? people!! I love that you work with wildlife. My son & I have saved so many critters. I don't know how they find me. I saw a turtle crossing the road & caught sight of a fishing line. He had swallowed a hook. The vet who takes these guys in did surgery on him & released him where I found him. We lived on a lake so it was almost a weekly call to Wildlife Rescue. A blue heron had a fish hook stuck in his face. OMGOD!! Rescued him, fixed him & brought him back but I had to shove antibiotics down a dead fish mouth to give the heron for 10 dang days. The things we do for the innocents, huh? So many stories.. Thank you for doing what you do. You're a hero in my book! and thank you for all of the great advice. Cashew thanks you.

You are a hero as well! And it is so good to know there are all of these wonderful heroes here who love and take care of the Ratlings! I have 4 myself, 3 boys and one elderly lady Ophélia. We had to say goodbye to her sister Samiya ("Pooh-Sam") a few weeks back. She had a pituitary tumor.
I looked into using monostat on rats and to use it on them you have to keep them from licking thier feet for at least 20 to 30 minutes. It might be best to stick with using the Animax for now.

You are a hero as well! And it is so good to know there are all of these wonderful heroes here who love and take care of the Ratlings! I have 4 myself, 3 boys and one elderly lady Ophélia. We had to say goodbye to her sister Samiya ("Pooh-Sam") a few weeks back. She had a pituitary tumor.
I looked into using monostat on rats and to use it on them you have to keep them from licking thier feet for at least 20 to 30 minutes. It might be best to stick with using the Animax for now.

Wow. good to know about the Monostat. (glad I don't have to treat a girl rat for a yeast infection!!! LOL) I'm sorry about Samiya. What a rotten deal rats get- such a short lifespan. They're such sweet beings & should live so much longer. I want to get a pal (2?, 3?, 4?= kidding for now) for him. The vet said to wait a bit longer for his feet to heal more in case they fight and one rips open again. I bet it's a blast watching them play with each other & I do think mine is lonely. I want him to have the best life he can especially after everything he's been through. I wonder why they're so susceptible to tumors etc. Thank you again.

Back