Scaring the crud out of Mommy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

So woke up today and went to say hi to my crew. Noticed my girls cage was open. Now I knocked on the cage like normal and Muppet and Spinach came out to visit me (surprisingly these are the two that I figure would escape if need be), Tootsie and No Name (my head tilt girl) were missing. I call and call their names, turn around and right at eye level sitting on my degu cage is Tootsie. So i pick her up cuddle her andput her back in her cage. I'm very worried at the time about No Name, she has a head tilt and I have a cat and I'm afraid Morgan has done something to her. We search all the usual hiding places nothing. I'm scared to come across a body. But then I look in the bathroom and in the middle of my clothes pile, theres No Name looking at me all cute.
How can you be mad at those faces?

Stories of when they scared you?

Leaving the cage door open is definitely a heart stopper. I've done that on occasion.
Or seeing a rat walk past you when you know everyone should be tucked away in their cage. :shock:

My most recent scare: I walked up to the cage and saw my young Nessie girl on her side, I could only see her back end, both legs almost up in the air, not moving. I finally get to see her upper body, she's still on her side... but eating away at a block. :roll: She's a crazy girl, that one.

jorats said:
Leaving the cage door open is definitely a heart stopper. I've done that on occasion.
Or seeing a rat walk past you when you know everyone should be tucked away in their cage. :shock:

My most recent scare: I walked up to the cage and saw my young Nessie girl on her side, I could only see her back end, both legs almost up in the air, not moving. I finally get to see her upper body, she's still on her side... but eating away at a block. :roll: She's a crazy girl, that one.
I didn't even leave the cage open. Thats the weird thing. I don't know how they did it. And I know I didn't leave it open because I don't open that door.
Weird girls!

I remember one day I checked on the girls and Lily was sleeping so soundly that my talking to her didn't wake her up. I watched her carefully and saw she was breathing. WHEW

Losing the wee Bronling babies regularly on the couch. Finding them in the couch but sure they managed to get to the floor. You know those days where I was really late putting up their daily pics? :cheeky:

My heart stopped regularly :doh:

Maggie managed to find the most imperceptible hole in the bathroom cabinet once... when I finally found her, she wouldn't come out, and it wasn't until the next morning that I thought to try baby cereal to coax her out.... which worked.

And towards the end, one morning we woke up to the cage open, with Emma inside and Maggie missing... she was sick, and we freaked out... only to find her in the clothes hamper where I keep the rat rags which sits on top of the cage. She looked so cute and comfy.

Oh, and of course she had quite a number of escapades in the ceiling. She kept us guessing.

My Angel disappeared 20 days after I got her, she was just a baby. I can't remember now how she got away. I turned the place upside down, looked everywhere. Thought she'd gone off the balcony.
10 days later I heard munching in my bedside drawer and there she was, healthy as could be (I had a cat at the time so I expect she was eating & drinking from the cat's bowls). I never did find where she'd been hiding.

Back