Scared to let them out

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synnøve

I've had my two little girls for a few days now..
It's not really getting them to stop being scared of me, thats the problem. That i think will happen pretty easily if i just have them out and in my sweater a lot.

But the problem I feel is that they're run away so fast! Two times now have Bianca slipped out of my sweater, and it's been almost impossible to catch her again! Thank god it happend in my room, or else she would probably be gone..
And now i tried to put a blanket on top of my bed and let her run there a bit. But she was just hiding behind the pillows and, i couldnt relax. I was just worring that she would find a way down and run and hide..
This is going to get better, right?:/ I wasn't expecting me to be so scared and worried all the time, and they to be so "runny"

And another thing.. After being in my sweater a while they seem very comfertable with my smell and my body. But as soon as i try to lift them up they are just as scared again..

You should try putting their cage on your bed and just open the door and let them come out on their own. That way if they get scared they should run straight to their cage. Also try just sticking your hand in the cage and let them come to you, let them sniff you and crawl on you when they feel comfortable. Also, try putting something like yogurt or baby cereal in a spoon and let them eat it while you hold it that way they get used to you and know that you are a good thing that brings yummy food. If you do this for a few days they will become more comfortable with you and their new home. If they came from a pet store they were probably not socialized so you have to give them time.

Also when you pick them up try to scoop them from under neath. When you grab them from above they think of you as a predator. Think of it as a hawk grabbing its prey.

Synnøve said:
I've had my two little girls for a few days now..
It's not really getting them to stop being scared of me, thats the problem. That i think will happen pretty easily if i just have them out and in my sweater a lot.

But the problem I feel is that they're run away so fast! Two times now have Bianca slipped out of my sweater, and it's been almost impossible to catch her again! Thank god it happend in my room, or else she would probably be gone..
And now i tried to put a blanket on top of my bed and let her run there a bit. But she was just hiding behind the pillows and, i couldnt relax. I was just worring that she would find a way down and run and hide..
This is going to get better, right?:/ I wasn't expecting me to be so scared and worried all the time, and they to be so "runny"

And another thing.. After being in my sweater a while they seem very comfertable with my smell and my body. But as soon as i try to lift them up they are just as scared again..

I agree with Melissa on this. Rats tend to view their cages as a "safe place" and will generally run back to it when they are scared.

One thing I did was to put the rat cage on my dining room table. That gave them a chance to come out and I was able to sit at the table and read or do something else. This made them curious and they would cautiously come out to see if the pages tasted good. :D

The girls will adjust but you need to give them time. :rose:

Ok :)

Thanks! They're already getting less scared. If I go over to the cage and put my hand in, both of them run up to me and starts licking my hand, climbing on it and trying to climb out. So the problem is really that if I put them on my bed or a place like that, they run fast around, and dont let me pick them up again. But I guess it's because they're young, still a bit scared, and they're girls ;)

I always have like a bag of something that rattles like they are going to get a treat. My Sunflower will run under "her" bookshelf and this is the only way I can get her to come out. I scoop her up and she has this look like "Trickery, ha next time see if it works." It always works no matter.

I have recent experience with the same thing, and my little boys started to come around. They improve a little everyday, and now enjoy sweater time quite a bit.
Keep trying! (Just make sure the door is closed)

I've found out that in the "scared area" they've improved a LOT just in these few days! They love being in my sweater, grooming my hands and face, and running up to my neck, and down in the sweater again.

And as soon as my dad has time to help me, im gonna build a play area with fences around so they cant escape, so they can run there without me worrying about them disapearing. Cause i dont think the whole running around like crazy-thing really has that much to do with them being scared. They're just young and want to be young and crazy, and not be picked up and put in a cage again:p

So for now i'll just let them play in my sweater, and on top of a table or something like that, and then i will make the play area as soon as possible:)

Get yourself some coroplast, and zipties and make a ratty corral. Make sure its big enough you can get in it too, its much more fun for them and for you. Didn't you know that we are the Bestest Rat Toys Ever?

Hehe, thanks for the tips :)

I live in Norway, so I'm not sure if I can get the same material as you use, but i'll try to figure something out :)

Synnøve said:
Hehe, thanks for the tips :)

I live in Norway, so I'm not sure if I can get the same material as you use, but i'll try to figure something out :)

Its what a lot of signs are made of, its real name is corrugated plastic :)
Zipties we call cable ties here in Canada :)

I was terrified the first time I had baby rats, because they do sometimes escape. When they aren't used to you, it's hard to get them back. I once waited a suspenseful day until my little ratty girl was recaptured by a live trap baited with oatmeal. Since those terrifying days I have become more savvy and therefore more laid back about escapees.

My recent fosters have got out of the playpen and the cage a few times. I got them back by putting a partly-covered nest box or cardboad box near to them, preferably one that they'd been in before (so it smelled familiar). They would reliably run into it if I approached them from behind. A rat outside its cage will be scared of open spaces and will want to find a safe covered area.

I made sure that, as soon as I got them back in my arms, I gave them a yummy treat and lots of praise. Now it's not a problem to retrieve them.

Back