scared rattie in the kitchen?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmom

i went into the kitchen today with the girls on me, (which i've done before, quite a few times) but this time lola, one of my girls acted really weird... i opened the cupboard, and it seemed to really scare her(she looked wide eyed, and ran around me looking scared and didn't stop untill i left the kitchen entirely).. which is odd because
a) i've done it before, and she was fine.
and b) lilly was on me too and she didn't freak out...

i'm thinking she saw the cupboard move out of the corner of her eye and it startled her, just her wide eyed look of terror was unnerving and i was wondering if it could have been anything else i'm not thinking of?

Sometimes an odd smell can also trigger them. It could very well be the cupboard door.
A long time ago, I read that rats "forget" their fear after 20 minutes. I've noticed this to be pretty much accurate. If I bring my rat somewhere and he's scared, in about 20 to 30 minutes, they calm down and don't act scared anymore.

jorats said:
Sometimes an odd smell can also trigger them. It could very well be the cupboard door.
A long time ago, I read that rats "forget" their fear after 20 minutes. I've noticed this to be pretty much accurate. If I bring my rat somewhere and he's scared, in about 20 to 30 minutes, they calm down and don't act scared anymore.

does this apply to forgetting there past abuses too?

jorats said:
I don't think so... abuse is so ingrained and it shapes their behavior and personality. :sad3:
:cry3: :cry3: poor ratties! i am so happy that my ratties are all sweethearts, fab is just a love bug.

i think it was just the cupboard... tried it again and she's still a little nervous, but not as bad...

:sad3: at the abused bubs having their personalities shaped by it... l

Rats have an amazing capacity to get over those ingrained fears with patient owners...it really is rather remarkable. :heart: But oh so sad that they have to have the fears in the first place.

jorats said:

This is why intro steps need to last 20 to 30 minutes.
As far as I know, rats, people, etc can only maintain a fear state of high arousal for around 20 minutes and then their adrenalin starts to drop. So they become less afraid.

SQ said:
This is why intro steps need to last 20 to 30 minutes.
As far as I know, rats, people, etc can only maintain a fear state of high arousal for around 20 minutes and then their adrenalin starts to drop. So they become less afraid.

Exactly!

Back