Quantcast

Scaly skin and swollen hands ?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

oasisandbambi

Hello, one of my rats has been treating for aspiration pneumonia for around 2 weeks with Zithro, Baytril and steroids. She had been in respiratory distress for a while but is finally doing better now. She has been stable with almost zero respiratory complications for a week or so now. Today I noticed her hands were a little red and maybe swollen? I'm not sure. And that her skin on her hands is flaky. What could be causing this? At the vet when I took her in for the aspiration they did an x-ray and listened to her heart and we ruled out heart issues especially since she improved with a steroid and antibiotics. Could it be a reaction to the steroid or new antibiotic?
I'm posting in case it's nothing serious, I won't be taking her to the vets since she isn't doing 100% better yet and I don't want to stress her. Thank you in advance!

oasisandbambi

Is it just moderate swelling or definitely serious? Is she grooming them a lot or ?
Moderate I'd say. I noticed it more because of the scaly skin. She may be grooming them a bit more than average now that I think about it, but shes not constantly doing it. Just noticed her feet are the same as her hands btw.

Last edited: