Sally's eye, Josie's bleed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramma2jaakk

I didn't get a chance to post this last week, but am finally able to sit down for a few minutes to let everyone know about Sally's eye and Josie's bleeding.

Yes, Josie is bleeding again. She started it 10 days ago, while I was on vacation and Neal was taking care of the home front. He had decided to let Sally and Josie loose in the livingroom, blocked all the exits and let them free-range. They LOVED it! However, when it was almost time for Neal to put them back in their cage, he noticed that where Josie was walking, she was leaving a trail of blood behind herself. And it wasn't a little bit, it was a LOT. He showed me the couch that we are going to get rid of soon (so very old) that has blood spots on it, and the carpet under the window, and where itwas over the top of the end table.

Josie hasn't had bleeding in MONTHS! She had the issue when we adopted her last year, we finally got it cleared up with about 2 months on different antibiotics. She just had a really bad inflammed uterus, pretty stubborn and didn't want to clear up. So she is back on meds again. Neal is thinking of her age, she is over 2 years old now. She is healthy otherwise, so not sure if a spay is in her future or if she will just have to continue with ab's again.

And Sally has hurt her eye. She did it on the same day that Josie started bleeding. When I took Sally and Josie to the vet last week, he put some yellow stain in her eye and looked with a black light. He said she has an ulcer in it, and said it could have come from when she was scratching herself during a cleaning, or if Josie was climbing over her into the hammock and got a toenail in Sally's eye. So... eye drops in her eye 4 times a day. The doc said eye drops would probably be easier to get in her eye than eye ointment.

That is not an easy thing to do! She is squirmy and won't hold still. So when she had the follow-up appointment, we decided to give her some oral antibiotics along with pain meds and the eye drop. The vet said if I can get even ONE drop in her eye a day, that will help with this other combination.

Sally has a recheck this Friday to see how her eye is. To me, it looks a lot better, she isn't holding it in the socket anymore. We are hoping she doesn't have to go through anything else after this, as she is an older girl, over 2 years old. Surgery is not something we want to do for her, but if we have to.... then she will have to live out the rest of her life as a one-eyed girl.

Geez! With these 2, if it isn't one thing it is another. I'll post again Friday after the vet appointment to let everyone know what is going to happen.

Anita

Does Josie appear to be in pain with her vaginal bleeding? Hopefully meds will stop it again.

Poor Sally... My Oliver had that as well and the drops worked great.

ratloveandcute said:
Where's Jodie bleeding from?

From her girlie parts, like last year. We've been through this before with her. And trying to get her meds into her again, she is now being a stubborn little girl. She has turned her nose up at pizza crust, which was the easiest way to get meds into her. So now I am back to trying different things to mix her food in.

Anita

jorats said:
Does Josie appear to be in pain with her vaginal bleeding? Hopefully meds will stop it again.

Poor Sally... My Oliver had that as well and the drops worked great.

Nope, she doesn't seem to be in any pain. But it is annoying! None of our rooms are without carpeting, and the kitchen has a nice vinyl floor but has LOTS of spaces under the cabinets she can get into. So we put up a playpen and a plastic tablecloth when we let her out. I just make sure to put in lots of toys for her.

Good to know the eye drops will work! Thanks! If only Sally would cooperate better and let me get the others in. :D

Back