Sadness :( I think both my rats have Myco

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dice401

When I brought Lukka home, she sneezed a lot, but thought it was the new home sneezes because there was never any discharge and she looked healthy. Over time, the sneezes lessened. Then when I brought baby Beauty home, she was fit as a fiddle, bright eyed and bushy tailed, no sneezes. But now, Lukka is showing a lot of the symptoms for myco. Beauty isn't as much, but she's become a whole lot less rambunctious in the last 2 days. I am unable to find a vet in my city that knows anything about rats. Is there any people meds I can give them? I heard benadryl was an option.

all rats have myco
and a good vet either experienced with rats or willing to learn, is absolutely essential

pictures? video?
how old?
hold up to your ear and listen to each side of their chests, what do you hear?
how are they eating?
what is their breathing like?

They likely need azithromycin (10 mg/Ib orally, twice a day for 6 weeks) - an antibiotic from a pharmacy by prescription from a vet
They may also need baytril, to be taken orally twice a day for at least 4 to 6 weeks, from the vet

Benedryl is good at control symptoms but it won't cure or even treat the real infection. What city are you in, maybe we can help find a vet.
Can you get us a video of your rats so we can help you determine if they are really sick. Also, make sure there are no fragrances of smoke around the rats. Maybe try changing bedding, some bedding can be quite dusty.

Back