Runt of the litter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catibrie

Hi all, i know I haven't been active for a while, but, my heart needed a little rattie break.
Anyway, I went into our local pet store (something I usually avoid like the plague) and there were a bunch of rats they were selling as pets. I looked into the cage and there among rats about 6 weeks old was a teeny tiny rat (with lots of fur) about the size of a 2 week old. I asked the employee what was the rats story, and was told their usual rat girl wasn't in but, they are all siblings or cousins and are about 6 weeks old - including the tiny runt. So, after calling my husband, and a friend who is also a ratter, I left the store with her and a sister, Peanut and Lucy.

After looking her over, and having my friend give her a bit of an examination we agreed she should go on antibiotics to clear up her infection. She weighs in at 16 grams, and was started on clavamox (0.007ml!)
That was a week ago and she is looking much better, although we had a bit of a scare as she seemed to have taken a step backward. I am prepared to do whatever is best for little Peanut, but I'm not real sure what to do/expect. Does anyone have experience with runts? Any light that can be shed would be helpful.

Please, don't misunderstand me, She is a sweet little thing. She runs, plays, eats and drinks. She loves grapes, even though she has to climb on top of half a grape and roll around a bit while eating! I just would like to have someone with experience in this to let me know what I might be in for.

Last edited:
is she pooping normally?typically with Megacolon babiies they dont thrive as the others. Does her belly feel hard?

Her poops look normal most of the time (she had a few really soft ones yesterday though) I felt her belly and there is a tiny hard spot in the 'belly button' area. The rest of her belly is soft. She is so small you can feel her bones when you pet her. She's gained half a gram since being here a week.

I would not call her a runt - there is something significant going on with her. I would call it 'failure to thrive'. **This is only if these two really are the same age. Perhaps someone put a young one in with the older ones.**
If they are the same age, I'm afraid she will break your heart again. :(
All you can do is treat any problems, feed her well, and hope for the best.

I keep looking at the pics and I certainly hope their not the same age, but her head looks shaped wrong. Might be her young age, but she reminds me of our boy Sebastian (RIP) who had hydrocephalis.

Back