Rose prognosis is not good.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Rose went in this morning to have 2 tumors removed. About a month ago she had vaginal bleeding which went away with meds and returned within the last. The vet said lets go ahead go in and remove the tumors by this time there were 2 right next to each other and not just the original one.

So he called a few minutes ago to tell me that not only did she have the external tumors but she had a internal vaginal tumor. By the time he removed the hard black tumor and the internal tumor he did not have time to remove the smaller less concerning tumor. But his hopes for Rose's recovery is not good. He believes the internal tumor will return quickly and cause urinary problems and discomfort and if it gets to this point he does not think it is a good idea to remove it again.

So we will take Rose home she will move into the old lady retirement for peace and quiet and we will go from there.

I just am at a loss.

What are your experiences with internal tumors? Have you had days, weeks, months, just depends on the rat. What can I do to slow the tumor down, anything?

My Jenka had a tumour, in her head. :( It was less than a month after we discovered it that she had to be put to sleep. We noticed it because her eye was bulging and becoming infected, so we took her in to have the eye removed, and she died about three weeks later. Their metabolisms are so fast that the tumours grow rather quickly. I think it all depends on the rat, where the tumour is, and the rat's general health and age, and I don't think you can predict how fast it will run its course.

The most important thing, which I know you know, is to keep her comfortable and not let her suffer. I'm sure she'll let you know when it's time for her to go.

I'm very sorry about Rose.

Oh no... I'm so sorry. But, there is always hope. I had two girls with internal vaginal/stump tumours. I had to watch them for when it just got too much and clearly were in pain and that's when they were brought in to be pts.
My mom had a girl with a tumour growing into her intestines but she lived a full year after diagnosis... You just never know. :cuddle:

I'm so sorry about Rose. My little Jaqui had a tumor around the urethra and she lived for another 3 months after the diagnosis. And Lady had a tumor on her intestine and lived for another month after the diagnosis. Give Rose lots of loving.
Just watch for signs of pain. Rose will let you know when it's time. :hugs:

I hope that it is slow growing and I will just watch for when she is in pain and no longer happy. I just hate it so much she is only 19 months. I just hope that she makes it to two but I will be thankful for everyday I have with her until then.

I asked Dr. Cody if he thought she was in pain now and he said that he did not think she was and that I should get a few more months. When the time comes I will do the right thing. I will not let her suffer. I am trying so hard not to cry. I feel like if I cry now she is already gone. Same with Clover I did not cry until she literally took that last breath I just hold out hope that it is not the end but I know in my heart it is.

Jo, I think you are right. I will just love her everyday, sneak in the occasional special snack (no sugar I know it feeds tumors) and spend all the time I can with her. She is not a really loving rat she is really a rats rat. She will occasionally come to see me but is not fond of me petting her so I just let her sit in my lap and she just grooms herself and looks around.

I kind of feel bad moving her in with the old ladies since they just lost Clover and it took Flower a few days to get back to normal after the loss. But I know Rose would be much happier with them. Every night when I let everyone out to play Rose goes and sleeps in the ball with Lilly for a little while and them comes out to play so I really think she would be happier with them and not so tormented by Sunflower. Sunflower is a real meany.

I hope you get to enjoy some more good times with your sweet Rose. It is so hard to predict how much time you have, but it sounds as if she will be more comfortable in with the oldies. Lots of love and banana mash to her from me & my gang!

I am so sorry but like the others said enjoy every precious minute you have and try not to be sad....Think of the good life she is living with someone who loves her and thinks she is a very special little girl.

Have you considered starting any steroid treatment to possibly slow the growth of the tumour, or make her more comfortable in the meantime? I have used prednisone for lymphosarcoma with good results, not sure if the success rate is dependant on the type of tumour though.

Back