Rooster Kills Man at Fight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

Just in case we needed another reason to be against fighting animals for sport

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-ta ... t/5802f40f

In a freak accident in Central California, a man attending a cockfight died after being stabbed in the calf by a bird with a knife attached to its own leg.

Jose Luis Ochoa, 35, of Lamont, CA, was declared dead at a hospital in nearby Delano, some two hours after the incident.

Ray Pruitt, a spokesman for the sheriff's office, said that it was unclear whether the death resulted from a delay in seeking medical attention. The underlying implication is that Ochoa might have been avoiding a distress call for fear that the cockfighting activity might have landed Ochoa and others in legal trouble.

Then there's the fact that Ochoa and the other spectators tried to flee when authorities arrived at the scene of the cockfight.

Oh, and just one more thing: Ochoa had already paid a $370 fine for misdemeanours related to owning or training animals for fighting purposes. Under California law, a second offense for this sort of crime is a felony, so Mr. Ochoa might have faced jail time. Now he won't have to.

I hope it goes without saying that staging death matches between animals is indefensible on virtually every level one could imagine.

We can only hope that if one good thing comes out of Ochoa's unfortunate death - along with the death of five chickens found at the scene - it's a continued crackdown on so-called spectator "sports" whose only appeal is the death of animals and, usually, the financial gain of those involved in the related gambling.

Sadly, we've seen this horror show before, but we haven't seen much progress.

Back in 2007, when NFL star Michael Vick was caught in the middle of a pit bull ring - and jailed for his involvement - everyone assumed his career would be over.

More to the point, one would have hoped that Vick's crimes would have shone a spotlight on underground animal cruelty.

But public memory is short and star quarterbacks are hard to come by. Not only is Vick now back in the NFL, he was just given a ceremonial key to the city of Dallas by city councillor Dwaine Caraway.

If all that irritates you, consider this: the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies (CFHS) says that under Canadian law, Vick (and Ochoa, if he had lived) would likely have walked had they been arrested.

Although animal fighting has been illegal here for 115 years, authorities have to catch perpetrators red-handed while a fight is in progress -- a virtual impossibility.

Back in 2008, Bill S-203 was passed to increase the penalties on animal abusers, but according to the CFHS, it misses the point, because the problem is that the abusers can't be prosecuted in the first place.

If you don't find cruelty to animals disturbing in its own right, consider the fact that it's often considered a "gateway" step to violence against people. And hey, it just got a guy killed in California.

Maybe this sounds bad but I don't feel bad for this guy at all- maybe for his family but not for him. If he was willing to condone the torture of animals for his own amusement then he deserved what he got. In fact it's quite fitting.

On another note I'm proud of the rooster that stood up for all of chicken-kind. ;)

While my first thought in situations like this is usually you go animal! sadly, if an animal injures, let alone kills, a man, it is nearly always put down :sad3:

Hello Mr. Ochoa. Let me introduce you to my friend, Karma.
There is no more fitting death for an animal abuser than death by stupidity!

To quote The Penguin: "Tragic irony or poetic justice? You tell me."

I feel bad for this guy's family for their loss but for some odd reason I'm finding it difficult to conjure up much sympathy for the guy himself.

Randomrat said:
Maybe this sounds bad but I don't feel bad for this guy at all- maybe for his family but not for him. If he was willing to condone the torture of animals for his own amusement then he deserved what he got. In fact it's quite fitting.

On another note I'm proud of the rooster that stood up for all of chicken-kind. ;)

I second this notion. Poetic justice, if you ask me. :cheeky:

I'm not being nasty or vengeful (I hope) but I really wouldn't call this man's death 'unfortunate'. I'd call it justice taking a turn towards righteousness rather than the direction that humans force it in. Real Justice, not the kind that distinguishes between 2 legs and 4 legs. I'd call it an unforeseen death along with all the foreseen deaths. I'd call it 'live by the sword, die by the sword'. I'd call it being in the wrong place at the wrong the time for the wrong reasons. I'd call it 'Now it's a sport eh? when it's truly one side against the other instead of one side being made to fight the others of their side. I'd call it Divine Justice.
Sorry for his death but that bird's a hero, even unintentionally, for striking out at the enemy rather than a mutual victim.

I feel no sympathy for this man at all. Sorry. As they say, "you reap what you sow" and in this case... I feel it was fully justified. What an idiot. a knife attached to the BIRD? Are they friggin insane!!!????

I pity the guy's family but that is as far as it goes. No sympathy towards him or the friends who had anything to do with it. It's just disgusting. :redhot:

Fidget said:
I'm not being nasty or vengeful (I hope) but I really wouldn't call this man's death 'unfortunate'. I'd call it justice taking a turn towards righteousness rather than the direction that humans force it in. Real Justice, not the kind that distinguishes between 2 legs and 4 legs. I'd call it an unforeseen death along with all the foreseen deaths. I'd call it 'live by the sword, die by the sword'. I'd call it being in the wrong place at the wrong the time for the wrong reasons. I'd call it 'Now it's a sport eh? when it's truly one side against the other instead of one side being made to fight the others of their side. I'd call it Divine Justice.
Sorry for his death but that bird's a hero, even unintentionally, for striking out at the enemy rather than a mutual victim.

love the avatar.... you're a mean one... Mr. Grinch... :wink2:

I imagine they are... Although I don't know if they're bred to be aggressive, they put cocks together (I think they fight out of dominance issues). They attach blades to the legs so they actually do damage - a lot of damage, and kill the other rooster.

Yeah it's like beta fish, put two males in a small space and they fight. They attach the razors to the rosters feet to make it more "interesting". Now, honestly, I don't rank birds very high on my give a **** list, and cock fighting really doesn't even bother me all that much. I don't condone it, or want to watch it, I just don't care. Dog fighting is a whole other issue as dogs are social animals. I was also attacked by a rooster when I was very young so maybe I'm biased. But more than anything, to me personally, it's a question of Darwinism. Any man whom could be killed by a rooster, doesn't deserve the life that they have. The world is an overpopulated place. This loss could only improve things.

Most breeds of rooster will only fight if there are hens around and can live amiably with each other if they live in a bachelor group.

Cock fighters use a special breed of rooster, called Old English Game. They are one of the oldest heritage breed birds there are, and they are very territorial by nature, and also very adept at survival. You could plunk and English Game rooster with a few hens almost anywhere and come back years later to find that they have thrived. They are closest in relation to the Jungle Fowl, the wild bird domestic chickens were bred from.

People who keep them for fighting can keep hundreds of birds, and they are all housed separately in dog-house style enclosures with tethers attached to their legs, to prevent them from fighting each other. The roosters will crow all day and all night because they are in the presence of each other.

They are really wonderful and beautiful birds and fighting them is such a crime. :( I would love to have an Old English rooster one day, you will never find a better protector for hens, they really take good care of their ladies, wonderful, amazing flock protectors. :) They are always alert and will sound the alarm at the slightest danger and send all his ladies running for cover. Any good rooster will do that but English Games are the best of the best.

Rooster fights are really, really terrible. When my husband and I had a flock, we didn't separate the cockerels from the pullets soon enough, as we were getting their coop ready and thought we had a couple more weeks. (They were still juvenile, no crowing yet, so it is still fine.) One morning I heard the first crow, and later that afternoon I looked out the window to find two cockerels fighting each other out in the rain. I ran out and separated the two (not an easy task) and tossed one in the coop. Then I ushered all the girls into the coop and closed the door.
The rest of the poor boys had to spend the rest of the day out in the rain until hubby came home that evening, and we stayed up past midnight, pouring rain in January, slapping together the rooster coop and putting up a slapdash fence. Those poor bedraggled birds! We'll never, ever make that mistake again next time we have chickens.
Luckily the damage was not too bad, it looked much worse than it actually was. The two birds were very bloody, but it was just surface wounds on their wattles, and the next day I could barely see where the wounds were. They were just youngsters anyway and barely even knew how to fight.

But it was still a terrible thing to see and I can only imagine how violent a fight between two mature English Games would be. :( I don't believe they PTS the roosters afterwards, they keep the winning rooster and heal him and condition him back to health, if his wounds are not fatal, to fight again. Roosters are very strong and hearty, and heal fast. All chickens do not have very good pain receptors on the surface of their skin, it is not like when we are cut, if the wound is minor they don't feel much pain. (Not that that's any excuse, just a side note on the recovery of roosters.) The losing rooster would have died from the fight.

Actually I meant would the roosters be pts after they were seized by authorities, but it doesn't sound like they are bred to be aggressive and would fit into a regular chicken home nicely. This makes me feel better. Unlike the sled dogs and the dogs bred to fight, these birds might have a chance at a happy normal life. :thumbup:

I have no idea if this is correct or not, but from what I´ve seen on tv(spca, animal planet) the roosters are pts after they are seized:(
I hope it´s not true tho..

They should not euthanize the roosters. :( I didn't even think about the authorities doing that for some reason, I thought it was referring to the people who fight the birds pts their own birds when they are done with them or something. :oops:

It's a shame and a terrible waste of a good bird. Any flock owner would be lucky to have an English Game protecting their hens. People who breed them are usually pretty serious about it and only breed the top of the line birds, over generations of careful breeding. They are very valuable birds, beautiful, brave and loyal flock protectors. I do not think it would be difficult to find good homes for ex-fighting roosters. There's a lot of good chicken people out there. :)

ETA: Just to mention that it can be hard to say who breeds the birds used for fighting. Lots of fighters probably breed their own, but most breeders, especially ones who belong to fancier's clubs and organizations, are against fighting, and will not sell their hatching eggs or chicks to people who will use the birds for fighting.

But the poultry world is quite different from that of domestic pets, once that person has sold hatching eggs or chicks to someone, that's it, there are no follow ups, home checks, applications, or any of the procedures used with companion animals. Many people will ship hatching eggs or chicks across the country, or across the US and Canada. It is all basically "back yard breeding", some breeders produce much higher quality birds than others, some have tons of experience, some have very little, some breeders do not sell their birds and breed only for themselves, and some trade birds and sell birds on a want-to basis.

It can be easy to tell the difference of a quality breeder and a shoddy breeder based on their husbandry, years of experience, and quality of birds.
Usually one would have to join a fancier's club and network before even getting the names of the best breeders.

Additionally, many poultry people do not keep their birds around for more than a few years anyway. Poultry health is directly related to husbandry skills, not necessarily breeding, however, any good breeder should terminate their flock in the event of infectious disease, and it is always a risk adding new birds to a healthy flock. A good breeder has clean, healthy birds free of infectious disease. A good breeder has brilliant, quality birds that fit the breed conformation and temperaments perfectly.

Poultry and yard birds are generally not like domestic pets where there are breeding and over-population problems. Bird people tend to network amongst themselves and it is likely that people who fight birds have a circle and network of other fighters where they acquire, sell, and trade birds.

Then there are hatcheries, where anyone can order birds, chicks or hatching eggs, and they sell hybrid and heritage breed birds that are generally a poor standard of a well bred bird. Some hatcheries sell English Games but they would be a sub-par example of the breed and I highly doubt fighters would acquire their birds that way.

by law they are destroyed :sad3:

http://ontariospca.ca/press_releases/2009/09_feb18.html

York Region, ON, (February 18, 2008) - The Ontario SPCA received information on Saturday, February 14, 2009 regarding an alleged cockfighting ring in East Gwillimbury, York Region. Coordinating attendance with York Regional Police, Ontario SPCA investigators found 74 fighting cocks (roosters). The Criminal Code of Canada states that cocks found on premises under these circumstances shall be seized, taken before a justice who shall order them to be destroyed. A court order was obtained on Sunday, February 15 at 3 pm and humane euthanasia was carried out by a veterinarian.

lilspaz68 said:
by law they are destroyed :sad3:

http://ontariospca.ca/press_releases/2009/09_feb18.html

York Region, ON, (February 18, 2008) - The Ontario SPCA received information on Saturday, February 14, 2009 regarding an alleged cockfighting ring in East Gwillimbury, York Region. Coordinating attendance with York Regional Police, Ontario SPCA investigators found 74 fighting cocks (roosters). The Criminal Code of Canada states that cocks found on premises under these circumstances shall be seized, taken before a justice who shall order them to be destroyed. A court order was obtained on Sunday, February 15 at 3 pm and humane euthanasia was carried out by a veterinarian.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/8300/ON/CA/

These birds, which are raised for the purpose of fighting, are conditioned and trained to be aggressive. As a result, all 198 roosters removed had to be euthanized.

They say vets check them over and deem them too aggressive, but then they say the law says they must be destroyed...which is it?

Back