Roommate's Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She leaves them in the hallway, goes to yoga and then out for the night...and forgets about her rats. :| I cannot believe this girl.. not a speck of responsibility or concern for these sweet creatures. I feel very sorry for her rats. So glad you are there.

Did you call her on her irresponsibility and ask her WHY she has rats if she does not take care of them or seem to care at all about keeping them clean, healthy and loved? Sounds like she virtually ignores them. So why have them??

Dirty cage, spends no time with them, leaves them out in the hallway and runs off to yoga and to play with her friends...I would love to know what her response is to all this. Rats are not goldfish..they need to be paid attention to, to have lots of outside play time away from their cage and interact with their people, to be loved, and to give love back...on top of having their daily basic needs met. There should be a law against people like her having ANY pet. These are living, breathing beings, not stuffed animals.

I would LOVE for you to show my post to this chick. I want to strangle her. (sorry for the rant, but I detest people sometimes). Thank the GODS you are there to care and to be concerned over these poor ratties. You are wonderful and MUCH more mature than this 22 year old going on 12.

Last edited:
I'd love to see if you took her rats into your room in a different cage and left toy rats/mice in their cage how long it would take her to notice? I did that with my brothers hamster. He kept saying he was working with it every day to try to get it to stop biting. It was two dayd with my cats toy mouse in its hut before my mom noticed because she went to give it a treat and she thought it died. I had him in my old hamster cage in my room. He (my brother) had begged for this second hamster after his first one that died after only 3 months. My mom was always taking care of it. So JR Jr. Became my hamster and lived to 5 1/2

Wow! That really would be a good experiment. When I get the boys there is NO WAY they are staying in that cage, I'm going to get them a new one... Not sure how, but I will. My girls are currently in the Kaytee multi-level Exotics cage, and it's quite great for them. They love climbing all over it. Does anyone have a cage to donate...? haha.

That's kinda sad for the rats, I'm so glad u are willing to help take better care of and adopt them!!

I'm in Sarnia. Let me see what I can get together. I'm doing some group shifting and swapping some cages with a rescuer Minnieflower in a few weeks . See if I can spare a better cage.

Last edited:
I am so glad I found this place! You've given me such helpful information and care already! If there is anything I can do to help you please let me know!

I'd love to see if you took her rats into your room in a different cage and left toy rats/mice in their cage how long it would take her to notice? I did that with my brothers hamster. He kept saying he was working with it every day to try to get it to stop biting. It was two dayd with my cats toy mouse in its hut before my mom noticed because she went to give it a treat and she thought it died. I had him in my old hamster cage in my room. He (my brother) had begged for this second hamster after his first one that died after only 3 months. My mom was always taking care of it. So JR Jr. Became my hamster and lived to 5 1/2

Good on ya, Sterling!! :thumbup:

UPDATE!!
She's not going to wait till January to give me her rats, she's going to give them to me ASAP because she said she "doesn't have the time" for them which I can definitely see. I just REALLY need a cage. She said that she's putting them out in the hallway "because they're starting to stink up her room" instead of actually cleaning the d**n cage. I really need help here, I can't afford $100 on a good cage right now because of expenses; I have a job interview on Monday so hopefully that'll work out. I just want them OUT of her care and into mine ASAP!

Okay!! Thank you guys so much! Also that cage is rusted. Seriously. Rusted. There is rust. I am so not okay with that. "I cleaned it a week ago so I don't know why they'd be smelly already" ....grr

Back