Ronnie: Aug 28, 2007 to March 9, 2010

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Ronnie was one of about 15 babies born to a sweet black self mama. All of the babies were supposed to be snake food, but the snake wasn't hungry. I called the owner, doing my diplomatic best because she had hung up on both RatsForever and SQ. I was able to take six girls back with me, and SQ arranged for others to get the rest. The local SPCA (I thought) was going to take them, but they changed their mind and suddenly I had 15 babies on my hands.

Here are two of the baby boys; I always wondered if the black one was Ronnie. He was a beautiful black self.
Boysonbox.jpg

Somehow they all found homes. SQ adopted most of the girls, and she has the last survivor of this litter, Esther.

Ronnie & Jesse (RIP) were adopted by Riana, who raised them to be sweet and gentle boys. When she had to rehome them, I fostered them during their neuter convalescence and fell in love.
LokiFreyrJessieRonniewithgooliescro.jpg

Ronnie & Jesse became companions for Bill, and they were later integrated with Hilda & Clara. Here they are in the bathtub, getting to know each other.
BoysClaraHildaalmostfriendsIntro1cr.jpg

They lived the lives of Riley together in their FN:
CNcheckingitout.jpg

Here is my favourite picture of Ronnie:

RonnieFreyrcroppedresized2009April.jpg

And that is how I will try to remember him. He had been failing badly over the last few weeks, getting thinner and having trouble with breathing and mobility. The vet found a small adenoma on his left side about a week and a half ago, but he otherwise was not in terrible shape. then over the last few days, he pretty much stopped eating. He looked miserable. The spark was gone from his eyes. If I hadn't been sick I'd have taken him in to be seen yesterday or Sunday. I got him to eat watermelon and to take some baby cereal/Ensure by syringe, but he was still dehydrated.

Today the vet found a grape-sized abdominal mass that may have been causing him the problems. I decided to let him go instead of trying surgery that probably would have been too hard on him.

I want Riana and SQ to know that at least he was enjoying some watermelon and a dab of yogurt just before he wsa pts..

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this, Godmother! At least he had a wonderful life with you, plenty of great friends, and had the best care possible, and the kindess decision made for him. I'll remember him along with the other boys, sweet things that they were.

I'm sorry he couldn't bounce back to be with you for just a bit longer -- I just read the other post about him not doing well, and was going to respond, when I saw this one. I'm glad he had some good munchies to take along with him on his trip. :hugs:

I am so very sorry ...
Ronnie, Jessie and friends had a wonderful life with you.
I am so glad I was able to visit and spend some time with Ronnie and the others in Feb.

:hugs:

Back