Rita ??/??/??- 7/10/12

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate476

Rita was one of my most recent fosters. She & her cage mate McKenzie came to me about a month ago. Their owner gave them back to the NTRR due to personal issues (we now suspect she just gave them away because she knew Rita wasn't well) & so I started fostering them. When they came they smelled like cigarette smoke, had pretty bad URI's, Rita was definitely worse off :( her lungs were very rough, she was super thin, super shy at first, & just an elderly rat overall.

Once she got over her shyness she was a sweet little thing. She would sit on my lap & be pet for hours & hours if I had the time to pet her that long.. we enjoyed many movies together :heart:

She slept a lot though, it seemed like the only time she wasn't sleeping was when she'd take a break to get something to eat & drink, at first I thought she was probably like that because she had a bad URI, it was obvious she was feeling sucky because of it.

Once the URI was somewhat better her body didn't improve much, she just started getting new & worse problems.. She started sleeping more (if that's even possible!), was super wobbly when she walked (kind of looked drunk sometimes), just looked miserable most of the time, & an eye bulge was noticed... I (& others) thought it could be PT so a vet appointment was scheduled for this weekend.. .. Well she didn't make it. she passed yesterday morning, I hope it was a quick, & pain free passing.

I feel bad... she never really had a chance at being completely happy... when she got away from her past owners she never had the chance to live the life she should have... I only wanted to see her happy... I wish I noticed the symptoms sooner, then she could have had a chance maybe..

Anyway here are some pictures:

At first I did see some happy faces from her :heart: it seemed like when she started getting a bit better from the URI she was so happy... finally felt good. but it didn't last :sad3:
stuffs005.jpg

She fell asleep anywhere
019.jpg

& loved her alligator
use3.jpg

When she first came to me
036.jpg

She used to like exploring... after awhile she didn't have the energy
FB3.jpg

Sleeping Rita w/ McKenzie
happycustomer3.jpg

R.I.P Rita... I love you so much & me & McKenzie miss you.. I'm so sorry I couldn't give you more time.. I'm sorry you couldn't completely enjoy the life you deserved :heart: :heart:

happycustomer5.jpg
:heart: :heart:

She knew love from you and you tried hard for a rat that wasn't "yours". Don't beat yourself up over it, when it's their time, it's their time. *hugs*

i am so sorry for your loss kate, she looked like she did enjoy the time she had with you, and as long as she remains in your heart she is not really gone. And think of it like this: she is not suffering from that URI anymore :heart:

I am so sorry for your loss. Rita was a beautiful rat, and I am sure that she has no regrets. It is never easy to lose a friend. Thanks for caring about older, vulnerable rats that especially need a caring, special-needs home. (Hugs)

Thank you everyone :heart:

McKenzie her cagemate seems to be doing okay. Last night she got an extra special dinner & today I gave her some extra scritches :heart: tonight she may have a bit of pasta salad as well.. & she's going to be adopted in a few weeks so she won't be alone for long :joy:

:hugs: I'm very sorry for your loss! I am pretty sure that Rita measured her "good times" by quality and not quantity...so give yourself a hug and know Rita left for the Bridge when she was ready...*S* :heart:

Thanks so much momo & tembla.

McKenzie is sitting on my lap now getting some loving. I think she misses Rita.

Thank you very much SQ.

I'm feeling a lot better now.. Of course it's still sad but it's easier to see the sunshine on a rainy day :)

Back