RIP Pickle - Dec. 27th, 2013

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaneliDesigns

Our little Pickle man passed away on the 27th. He was very old and went peacefully in his sleep... We knew what was coming, so we were somewhat prepared. However, I am so sad to say that we didn't get a proper goodbye. I found him in the bottom of the cage, but could only bear to look at him for a moment once I realized that two of his cagemates had begun to eat him. I realized that the scuffling I had heard earlier was Pres trying to keep the other rats away from the body of his best friend. I wish so desperately that I had gone in to check on them when I heard them scuffling, but I was sick and decided they were just being boys...

My guilt was made even worse by the fact that I couldn't bear to look at Billy and Teddy after knowing what happened. I know it is only natural for rats, but I felt that I would no longer be able to give them the attention they deserved and rehomed them. They are somewhere safe where they will get the care they need. I feel so terrible - I lost one rat to old age, and two to my inability to face them after they had done something that is just natural for them.

That left Pres alone, having lost his friend that he has lived with since he was a tiny baby, and we got him a new friend the next day. Pres seems sad, but okay having a new friend, and he seems far less stressed out without Billy and Teddy around.

Rest in peace, little Pickle.

482172_150389421788015_431996029_n.jpg

577291_150389405121350_465099079_n.jpg

I'm so sorry for your losses. You did the right thing finding your other boys a safe home when you realized you couldn't care for them. I'm glad your Pickle was able to pass quietly.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

He's such a cutie :) Please try not worry because the pain and stress you feel right now (including the guilt) will pass very soon. It feels like it will last forever because it's intense and heavy, but hang in there because the upset will pass I promise! Have fun over the bridge sweet Pickle xx

I'm so sorry. He was a cutie.

It's understandable that their eating him would upset you. It may be natural for them but it's not for us - no one can judge you for that. You did the right thing, finding them a loving new home.

Thank you all so much for the support - I am feeling a lot better about rehoming Billy and Teddy. I miss them, but I know they will be well loved and Pres has a great snuggle buddy while he gets back to his usual self.

I'm so sorry that you lost your old man Pickle. I'm glad that he passed quietly on his own. It would be tough to find that your other boys were trying to remove him. I'm glad you took the time to find them a good home rather than keeping them and not being able to love them. I'm glad too that you got Pres a new buddy right away so he won't feel too lonely while he gets over his loss. :hugs:

Back