RIP little ninja girl. Update: 8/13

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadRat

Our little Jayden (25ish months) has been "off" the past few days. Little bit poofed, low energy, somewhat unsteady, maybe a little disoriented. Not knuckling but tooth bumping some. Wet around her lady parts but doesn't smell infected, just constantly wet.

Vet apt Wednesday afternoon, trying to rule out or confirm PT or UTI. We'll see.

Sidenote: rest of the colony seems well. Justin has a somewhat persistent small abscess from his neuter, been on Baytril for several weeks (he loves his special twice a day spoon) and Nimmel has gone blind in one eye due to a cataract (don't think she really noticed, her vision has always seemed lousey even by rat standards).

Also, hi. Haven't been around in a while. Life has been....very life.

Got back from the vet.

Jayden is starting Pred and Baytril, and we're keeping an eye on her behavior. She's lost about 2 ounces from her 6 month ago weight, now at a very petite for her 14 ounces. She's seems in slight slow motion and periodically disoriented, but still eating, drinking, and cautiously climbing the couch cushions during out time.

Luna is a butterball, weighing in at a fat and happy 20 ounces.

Nimmel is a chubby 18 ounces and blind in her left eye due to a cataract. If her eye starts looking bad, we'll have our vet call Dr. Munn, as she has never done an eye removal on a rat before.

Our vet was impressed that our girls are all presently tumor free at 25ish months, which is unusual from her practice. The girls came from the now closed Huron Valley Rat Rescue and were all spayed at approx 4-5 months of age.

Good to hear that the colony is doing good. Hopefully the meds will help out Jayden a great deal.
It really is awesome how well spaying works.

Overall, the colony has done well.

The boys all got neutered for being overtly feisty with the girls. Other than 2 or the 3 developing small abcesses at their neuter site, they have healed great.

We've had a few URI's out of this colony, but other than those (which we don't need a vet visit for, she just refills out standing Baytril and Doxy RX...I love having a vet who trusts us and knows we know URI signs. Especially since she is 1-2 hours away by car.) this has so far been a healthy bunch.

Don't think our little ninja will be with us for very much longer, she is crashing fast. (Damn you, PT.)

Started the Pred and Baytril Wednesday, and still getting worse by the day. She's still eating (lab block mush) but has developed a head tilt and is starting to roll some. She's still slowly mobile, but very unsteady and uncertain of her surroundings. Still fairly bright eyed, and bruxes and boggles when she gets a spoon of meds in applesauce.

It'll be soon.

Refused food/water/meds in applesauce since yesterday afternoon.

Spent most of the day curled up asleep/unconscious.

Hoping she stays asleep and just stops breathing here soon. This must be a crazy aggressive tumor to have demolished her this fast.

I'ma sad rat dad.

DadRat said:
It'll be soon.

Refused food/water/meds in applesauce since yesterday afternoon.

Spent most of the day curled up asleep/unconscious.

Hoping she stays asleep and just stops breathing here soon. This must be a crazy aggressive tumor to have demolished her this fast.

I'ma sad rat dad.

Sadly I know how you feel. :cuddle:
Wishing that she makes a peaceful trip to the bridge.<3
I am SO sorry!! :(

Stubborn little rat is stubborn. Making a vet apt to help her along. Still refusing food and water, sleeping most of the time, getting twitchy.

Her sisters, food, and head scritchies are here...she apparently doesn't want to go.

Back