RIP Hawk

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Said good bye to our third Buckeye boy today. Hawk was a fighter until the very end. He didn't want to leave us which makes this so much harder. We had been syringe feeding him for weeks now, which was fine with us. We wanted him to pass at home, but that stinker just refused to pass. He had very limited control over his hind end, was always short of breath and/or gasping, and was down to about 340 grams. I thought he weighted much less, but that is what he weighted today. Our syringe feeding most likely added some weight. He was always the first to the cage door though - although not the past couple days. In the past week he started to remain in his urine and his bottom would need constant cleaning. We tried our best to keep.him clean and free of urine scalding. We applied helix after every bath, but our efforts weren't good enough and the scalding became too bad the past couple days. I knew it had to be painful and having him in pain was the last thing we wanted so a few hours ago we had him pts. He fought it, of course, but is now (hopefully) peacefully with Buckeye brothers Torres and Hank and his cagemate brother Clark. Rest peacefully our sweet boy mommy and daddy love and miss you so much. We will take care of Weston for you...

Awww goodbye little fighter boy! You are losing rats like I am...too regularly :(

Unfortunately they are all around the same age. This group is approaching 28 months and all have some respiratory thing that seems hereditary. Except for Torres you had prostate cancer. Weston meet "the girls" last night and he seems to really like Flora, or at least she makes a good pillow.

Back