RIP Anna: ~Jan 2012- Feb 16, 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I just found Anna dead in the cage. No warning signs. She had been lively and eating well. :cry3:

I adopted Anna from CarolynB (that's her FB name; can't recall her Forum name), who had taken in Anna and Jenny from someone who couldn't keep them any more.

A couple of months ago, Anna was head butting, but after that one occasion it never happened again.

It's very strange to see the cages so empty.

RIP, Anna. I'll take good care of your friend Jenny.

Wow Godmother, you have lost a few without warning lately. It's hard to deal with without the mental preparation, but at the same time, it's nice not to have to make the decision for them and euthanize them.
RIP Anna, I'm glad you got to live life right up to the end. Play hard at the Bridge sweetie. :heart:

Wow Godmother, you have lost a few without warning lately.

I had never found a rat dead in the cage until Katie, three months ago, so I spent some time wondering if there was something I've been missing or something toxic in their play area.

But they all get the same food and use the same playpen and play area, so I don't see how there could be anything dangerous or they would all be sick. I note any changes in behavior and breathing. I have to accept that there was no way to predict any of the deaths.

I guess the only real shocker was Katie, who was young and who had only had one minor URI in her life. The others were older and in poor health except for Anna.

The others seem lonely, so I will be glad to get Val neutered (he has his op on March 10) and to put everyone into one group.

Yes, Susie and Gwen used to be part of a group of four, who had the downstairs of a quad CN. Upstairs, Evie and Jenny were part of a group of six. I've lost six out of ten since November, so it's time for some regrouping.

I had started intros, but Leto (who had PT) was very stressed by them. Now Gwen has some neurological problem and is not herself despite medication. So partial intros are in order, so that Susie and Val will have company. Once Val is neutered and Gwen has passed, I will have just one group of five. With luck, things will be stable for a while until Evie approaches the age of three. She is 30 months now.

Back