Ringworm!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Ok so I just found a ringworm on my stomach, which is THE grossest thing my body has ever done (and I am being SO literal right now) and I'm googling it. It says you can get it from small animals, and while I doubt they gave it to me, can I give it to them?? I have NO clue where I got it from, but my best bet is it's from walking around barefoot or hanging out with my cousins and Tanner, although I still have to check him over but he's sleeping. We're going to the doctor's tomorrow anyway (well I am) to get something for it. I am thoroughly disgusted although I hear it's a pretty common thing. Not for me!!

Anyway! Can I give this to the rats? Or a rabbit, for that matter, if anyone knows that one... I'm wearing a shirt 99.9% of the time, so they never have direct contact with where it is. But still? Anyone have any experience with this?

yuppers. Ringworm is a fantastic fungus which can unfortunately be transfered to our furry friends :(

I had it a few years ago when i was working at the SPCA - we had an outbreak - and the Dr. prescribed me a cream to put on the lesion (i guess youd call it)....

its kinda unplesant to think about....but it could be worse? right??
That SO SUCKS Cait...all the best with that...

Ohhhhh gross. What are the odds they have it, do you think? Should I call a vet for all of them? Eeeee. I thought it was disgusting on ME, imagine with 5 rats, a rabbit, and possibly a 4 year old. *so so so so so gross*

It could be worse, you are right. At least they don't have abcesses or prolapsed rectums or gouged eyes... All of which are FAR grosser and worse. *repeats that to self*

Cait said:
It could be worse, you are right. At least they don't have abcesses or prolapsed rectums or gouged eyes... All of which are FAR grosser and worse. *repeats that to self*

:giggle: yes. that puts it all in perspective :giggle:

I dont remember the incubation period off the top of my head....:S maybe call your vet and ask? When we treated the cats it was with....Imaverol solution and we bathed them with it HOWEVER that may be the completely inaccurate treatment due to the nature of the shelter at the time of the outbreak.....
Sorry i cant be of more help...

Never had that but a girl in elementary school had it and we all thought she was 'dirty' and 'don't go near her'.
I know the shock and feeling of being untouchable, I found I had crabs one time and thought the next step was living on the street in a cardboard box.
But that was all when I would have thought touching rat poop up might give me rabies too.

You can get better info about this off the net than you can from me. But I want to give you big cyber-hugs and would in person too. But as far as your understandable worries of being contagious - Wash your hands, wash your hands and follow the instructions you find on the net. And emotion-wise it's no different than a flu or a cold sore, ok? Except less chance of it ever recurring.

No no you are being lots of help!!! I will give them a call in the morning. I doubt anyone is there at almost midnight. *tee hee* I hope its as simple as a bath!

Thanks Fidget! *hugs back* You always make me feel better. I've always viewed ringworm as an "untouchable" thing and super gross and now I have it and I am even more grossed out! Thankfully its easily treated apparently from what I've found so far. Here's hoping the boy doesn't have it and neither do my furry boys!!

That's the thing! a bad hair day sucks but we know we're not contagious. My Gah! When you hear you have something Contagious you go thru a horrible process with it!

For me (same with you?) First you feel like you have bugs hiding in your recesses that are ready to attack anyone who is near you, then you are both terrified & guilty for who you might have infected already, then you think of the tv shows you've seen about leper colonies, then finally you look for a way out meaning getting the facts and thankfully your misadventure is temporary and not highly contagious.

Some of us dodge bullets that hit others. Some of us are hit with dummy rounds that hurt but heal. We see so many medical difficulties here... I think if you'd got yourself to a vet sooner you'd have been relaxed sooner. :giggle:

"you think of the tv shows you've seen about leper colonies"

OMG that is exactly what was running through my head!! 0.0 And I have to call my aunts and my sister because I played with their kids and I slept in the same bed as my niece. I have NO clue how contagious it is but better safe than sorry, I think!

I can't wait to get to the "vet" tomorrow. *tee hee* I love that an office visit is only 10 dollars compared to the actual vet which is 30. Cheaper for me to go to the vet than the rats, LOL! But we're going for them, too. 0.0 It'll be a mother's a mother's day to remember! Bwah.

Hey, you'll probably get some cream and be fine in no time! (tho your soft spot for geeks and losers will hopefully enlarge somewhat with gratitude that your social unsuitability is happily only temporary) :hugs:

Oh yucky Cait!!! I'd be horrified just as horrified as you.
I do remember once someone had to treat their rats, it took a very long time though, but in the end, they were fine.

Yep been there done that a few times...Ringworm that is....

About 6 months ago I had it on my FACE!!!!!!!! Try that one on for size! It didn't look like the normal ring worm so I went to a dermatologist and she did some skin scrapings and said that it was a virus and not ringworm. She gave me some cream for it but it wasn't working so she gave me a nother cream for it. It still wasn't working so I decided to use some of my husband's athletes foot cream on it and within a few days I saw improvement. Kept using it and it was gone. That is why I know it was Ring Worm.

Then about a month ago another one popped up on my chest high enough so that shirts don't cover it since I wear alot of scoop neck and v necks. I quickly attacked it with hubbies cream again and again it went away quickly.

I know none of the rats have it. I live in a very rural area with lots of cows, horses, and farm dogs so I could have picked it up from anyone.

Skp the Dr and just go to the local pharmacy and pick up some athletes foot cream. It will save you a bundle and it works.

As for your animals you can talk to your vet and see what he thinks.

Staci

lol sorry couldnt help it
"theres a fungus among us"!! :lol: :lol:

it is so very common a lot of animals can be carriers such as cats and cows and show no signs of it. there are many strains of ringworm as well. in vet practice the most common way to diagnose is with a black like as it floresces. it usually attacks us if we are run down or sressed out. take staci's advice and get the creme!! dont worry as that will flair it up more, its like most parasites/bacteria/fungi its opportunistic. just wear an extra shirt when you handle the critters and wash your hands before.

Oh no, Cait!! You poor dear >.< Never had it, but I know several athletes who have had it and got it from walking around without shoes or foot coverings in showers and on wrestling mats, gymnastics mats, dorm hallways etc. Don't feel too gross, it's just one of those things that happens and you are getting it treated right away and getting your critters treated right away. That's the important thing!! :hugs:

Cait, don't worry I get it at least a few times every summer (I have it right now) some people are more prone to it than others. Mine usually comes from my dogs brining it in the house. I Ivomec my dogs which kills ringworm in them but they still bring it in the house. I have never had a problem with my rats getting it, I just don't let them down my shirt and I was my hands before I play with them. I usually only get one spot and usually on my neck or shoulders where my dog likes to curl up next to me. I used to think only dirty gross people get it but now I know better because I am not a dirty person by any means and I know you are not either. My fiance never gets it so I think I am just more allergic to it I guess that is how to put it.

Ok I am so glad it's not on my face. 0.0 That would majorly suck. Wow this really reminds me how vain I am. That's bad. But anyway!! I'm glad I'm not the only "Fungus among us" LOL! That makes me feel a whole lot better and much less grossed out by myself. And yay I don't have to sit at the doctors office! Athelete's foot cream sounds much more fun to me. I checked over Tanner, and he doesn't have it. (Which... aren't kids supposed to get this easily? Whatever, I'm happy he doesn't have it and I'm not going to jinx it.) So it's just me! I want to take the rattie boys to the vet just in case (I like how I can skip the doctor for me, but it makes me uneasy to skip the vet for them, ha!) But of course the clinic I want to go to is closed Saturdays and Sundays. Niiiiiice. So I have to call in Monday and see about them, maybe there is something OTC I can do for them. I read Head and Shoulders is good to use as a body wash when you have ringworm because it kills it. Wouldn't that be nice, just have to give them baths and then be done with it. Plus they'd smell delightful. I wonder how I can tell if they have it? They have fur, after all. Hmm.

I'm pretty sure I got it from walking around barefoot, which my grandmother told me not to (come to think of it she lives in a rural area with lots of stray cats and dogs) but I did it anyway because it was nice out. Or the dorm hallways/bathrooms, which I never wore shoes into because I just... didn't. Niiiiiiice.

Thanks everyone for all your support and not making me feel like a freak. :) You guys are the best! *hugs*

If your rats have it you will know because where the patch of fungus grows the hair will fall out. So i would just keep an eye on them and wash everything you can and keep your spot covered and away from them. I use either blue star ointment or Lotrimin when I get it.

0.0 Well none of them have that, so that's good! I already went through and washed all my sheets and things and any clothes I was wearing over the past few days with color safe bleach. Not sure if that does anything, but. And I always have a shirt on so we're good. I've been layering, too, just in case.

I got Lotrimin Antifungal, and on the back for "uses" it even lists ringworm! :D Woo! It looks better even after only two days of using it. Not a lot, but I can tell. :p

Back