Rex (pic heavy)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rex is no longer puking.
My brother just got back from the vet and gave me a call. The vet said he is healthy, has no sounds on his heart or lungs. his ears are clean, his eyes and nose are free from mucus (as we can see lol). He got his first puppy injections today and has to go back for his second in two weeks. They are being safe because they have no background information on him at all. He is getting wormed tomorrow and has been given the first of a regular Frontline dose.

I measured him last week and he was 23inches up to the shoulder, so he is at the top of the average height for the breed and fully grown. They weighed him today at the vets and he weighs 18.6kg (~41lbs) :(
I knew he was thin (you can feel all the bones around shoulders, thigh and his midriff is really small), but jeez! Everywhere i have read says he should be around 23-27kg (~52 - 60lbs). My brother is going to give him some more food each feed because he is getting a million times more exercise than he used to and is burning a lot of energy.

We shall see what he weighs in two weeks

REX WEIGHS 20KG!!! :dance:

He has been a little :rant: today but here are some cute pics. we think he is turning more red/brown than before. something about him is definately changing (and not just his strength and weight)
BRIGHT LIIGGGHHTTT
2010_0525jerry0013.jpg

Butter wouldn't melt... pfft!
2010_0525jerry0010.jpg

Sexy new red collar after he snapped the last one :giggle:
2010_0525jerry0009.jpg

The little finger on my right hand is swollen and slightly purple and the palm of my hand is red from where he pulled me over earlier on when he was trying to chase a duck :( I have a bad knee from the weekend and he hasnt made it any better at all. I was terrified. He runs and runs when he gets loose and i couldnt hold on to him after he pulled me to the ground. He jumped into a pond and i managed to grab him when he came out after a swim :gaah:

I need my brother to start putting Rex's body harness on him so i have more control, not just one of those stupid leads that lets them walk on for ages until you lock it

Ugh that's as bad as my uncle trying to feed Oscar a chocolate biscuit - I flipped at him before he could even bend over to give it to him >.< Some people...

Also, I should have left my reply til I'd read the whole thread - I'm so relieved he's stopped puking and is doing a lot better, also hope your bruises fade quickly >.<

Body harnesses don't give you any control with a dog that size, especially a HUSKY! Hello, they're made to go in a harness and PULL! LOL

This is the only style of harness I'd recommend for a dog that size... standard body harnesses really aren't a good option for dogs over 30 lbs. They give them more chest support to push into, LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEM9zl4ngs

An extendible leash is not a good option while he doesn't have good leash manners, especially when you're dealing with a dog breed that has high prey/chase drive. And with a husky you have to be extra careful about them getting loose as they do just run and run, like you said! Recall is not their strong suit without LOTS of work (and even then many huskies can never do offleash in an outdoor setting)

A halti might be a good solution to get him to walk properly, and a regular leather or webbed nylon leash to save your arms the jolt of a flexi lead. my friend's border collie was on a flexi lead, it just doesn't feel right with a dog that strong!

Perfect reason why to not walk a strong dog on a flexi, LOL

[youtube:2g5okg4x]bbelvpdsLtw[/youtube:2g5okg4x]

hahahahahaa!
Im tempted to get him a halti, and my nana has found her old dogs lead that im going to use aswell. desperate to find my clicker and start some clicker training. this dog has so many bad manners. i think most of them are out of boredom. There is a park in a town not far from here that has a high fenced dog area where you can let them off leash so im going to try and take him there next week so he can run! hopefully there will be some other dogs there for him to play with.

im officially on summer break now so my whole time will be spent training this little monster

Back